just snagged a new mixer :)

foreverain4

well, it is a long story, but i landed this amek console in my studio. this puppy was in carnegie hall till 2000. this thing rocks. it took 6 guys to load the sucker in. it is a bit heavy. anyway, thought i would post cause i am shaking with excitment and thought you all would like to drool for a bit... :)

Attachments

• mvc-005s.jpg
    mvc-005s.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 405
Very nice, indeed!!!

Looks a bit more substantial than the old Mackie, huh? Unfortunately for me, it just wouldn't fit in my studio, but it sure looks nice in yours.

Hope the integration of it into your operation goes smoothly.

Cheers,
Darryl.....

i am just soooo happy!! :'( i am sitting here at work with that pic as my backround. i am just staring at it. now i get to spend another $1000 on cables. that stinks..

the model is the "recall". this is not the rupert neve model. it is the "langely". it missed being a rupert neve by about 3 months. it is still a killer board with 56 awesome pre's!!

foreverain4 said:
not to mention a great fully parametric eq and instant recall and dynamics on every channel.. :)

Still, the board you acquired is nothing to stick your nose up in the air for :)

If you don't want it, Christmas is around the corner, and I'm in NJ :)

foreverain4 said:
thanks guys, i knew you would appreciate it. i havent been able to get my wife to yet. lol

Rub her feet tonight while she's watching TV.

She'll forget all about the amek :)

It worked when my wife got the $1771 amex bill this month... $50-60 increments at home depot <smile>

Congrats on the Amek. Im thinking you should spend some money on a decent set of binoculars so that you will be able to see that computer monitor. ;)
Wives are hard to convince that an Neve 80 series is worth more than a pair of shoes.

SoMm

You guys just don't get it.

Rub their feet, and on the way home from your music store (with your neve), stop at a fancy $400 a pair shoe store :)

*My* wife even helps mud and sand !!!

Son of Mixerman said:
Im thinking you should spend some money on a decent set of binoculars so that you will be able to see that computer monitor. ;)

SoMm

yeah, no kidding. it is funny how upgrading one part of your system usually ends up causing you to upgrade others as well.

Definitely a "drooler" - now, if you don't want to mess up the pristine Amek sound you can rotate your nearfields back to vertical, where they won't give you phasing problems... Steve

knightfly said:
Definitely a "drooler" - now, if you don't want to mess up the pristine Amek sound you can rotate your nearfields back to vertical, where they won't give you phasing problems... Steve

not quite sure what you are saying. they are made to lay on their side...

"they are made to lay on their side" - If your owners manual says that, it's wrong - not just me that says that, I just got a couple of Phillip Newell's books (he's designed and built around 200 studios, designs speakers, does vibration analysys, etc - one of his books confirmed my theory that laying nearfields on their side was NOT a good idea.

What happens is this; speakers on their sides, you dead center between them, there are three triangles at work here - the obvious one, equilateral, left/right/your head. Then there are two others, each an Isosceles triangle with points at woofer, tweeter, and ear. If you move your head to the side to make an adjustment, you've just changed the length of the sides of that triangle, which changes the phase relationship between woofer and tweeter. Not only that, but you've changed it the OPPOSITE way for the OTHER ear. (This is real - phasing at higher frequencies can be detected with as little as 1/4" shift in path lengths, sometimes even less)

Your head doesn't move UP and DOWN near as much, so if the woof and tweet are above each other, the phase relationship between them doesn't change when you move your head from side to side.

Mr. Newell also states that usually the main reason for laying nearfields on their side is to get them out of the path of the soffit-mounted mains - and that THAT doesn't work either, it only makes extra early reflections in the sound path for the mains, making them sound worse, making people put even MORE choices of nearfields on the bridge, etc...

The only nearfileds I know of that wouldn't have this problem are the concentrics such as some by Tannoy... Steve

interesting, thanks for the info. i will see what i can do. if i mount them upright, the tweeter may shoot over my head..

If so, upside down can also work. Only thing to watch then, is possible "rocking" due to top-heaviness with woofs on top, if you're cranking it - the woofs can cause rocking easier if they're on top. You can also mount them right side up at a slight downward angle, although that can cause worse early reflections from the console surface if they are angled very much... Steve

Back