Is this enough wall angle for control room?

tubedude

Ok, lets try these dimensions, and these ideas, and tell me what you think.

Control room 14 feet long, 10 feet wide.

If I bring the walls in starting about 8 feet behind the mix station and moving in a foot on both sides behind the mix station, is that enough angle to help things any? Does it need to be more severe? How much more?
I'm going to completely kill the area behind the speakers, over the mix station, and the far wall behind the mix station. I'll probably add absorption randomly between the front and back and kill any flutters that pop up.
Still in planning stages, and my ideas and layouts keep getting screwed with as this thing progresses. I now need to make a decision and move on it.
Thanks.,

Paul, my controll room is exactly the same demensions as that and I've come to the conclusion that it's too fucking small. Not sonicly, physicly. Any way you can make it bigger? That's what I'm getting ready to do right now.

Whats too small about it exactly? What bothers you the most? Like I said, it wont be square exactly, I'm going to attempt to get some angles going away from the mix station.

I have about a 3 foot space going between the control room and drum room as a hallway/air buffer, but was going to use it as access to an iso, BUT could access the iso from the drum room... I guess I could cut into that and bring it down to a foot wide or so, making it almost wasted space,which would allow me to get about 2 feet wider, and I can actually get about 18 feet deep if I want, but I'm trying to save on materials, which are killing me, I'm $65,000 in right now on materials and havent started on the studio portion yet (new house), but its like a week or 3 away I hope. I have sessions booked there already, this month!

Trying to keep a couch behind me for clients and all the gear, it's just too small. Put a guitar stand on the floor or a mic stand and traffic stops. It drives me nuts. My live room is 12'X16' and the controll room is 10'X12'. Since I see no acoustic advantage from either room (since they're WAY too small), I'm swapping rooms. I figure the drums can occupy 10'X12' OK and I'm taking over a litle more basement space for one more small iso booth for amps or whatever.

Hmmm... I'm kind of stuck with it I guess.....
Heres whats happening... the garage sits down lower than the house (attached) and to make it look right, we kept the roof even with the rest of the house. This made the garage ceiling somewhere in the ballpark of 20 feet (!!!) high. Since I was going to build the studio into the garage, everyone said it would be more like a reverb chamber than a studio, so I decided to make 2 floors out of it, and let my garage be a garage, and have the studio over it. Technically, I COULD have a 20x20 control room upstairs, and the live rooms and iso's under me, but damn we're getting into a lot of money there.
I can make a 10x10 room below for drums probably. I dunno. I gotta figure this out, and it needs to be as good as possible. And cheap. What a PITA!!!!
Paul

Paul, just saw your similar thread on RO, and I understand your frustration - still, Track rat isn't steering you wrong - tight quarters make for a lot of frustration.

Keep in mind that there is a "triangle of possiblilties" - the saying goes,"good, fast, cheap. Pick any two - you can NEVER have all three..."

Your comment about wanting it good and cheap automatically excludes "fast" - so probably the best approach would be to learn quite a bit more about acoustics in general before putting out any more money or effort on building.

One example is your continued reference to square rooms - please do NOT do that to yourself if there is any POSSIBLE way around it. It's one thing to already be stuck with a square room and make the best of it, but if you're building more or less from scratch that is the second worst shape you could choose. The worst would be a cube, where your ceiling height is the same as both your other dimensions.

I help moderate the acoustics forum at RO, and moderate the Construction forum at John Sayers' site, here -

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

The sayers site is easier to do graphics on, if you're not already a member you should join and check out both the designs in the Design forum and the construction methods in my forum - you can post a sketch of your layout and we can work through things easier with pix and drawings... Steve

Thanks all... you know, as terrible as it is to say this, I'm not all that interested in learning about acoustic design, as I have my hands full already. This will hopefully be a one time project, and after that the knowledge will be practically useless. Exactly the situation to hire a pro, but of course the money isnt there for that.

Can I post pictures at the sayers site without uploading them to another site 1st? I could post a drawing of the layout there, and everyone could pick it apart.
This is irritating at best. Everything should just sound good.

That's just one of the things I perfer about John's site - pix have been no problem for me. All I do (for jpg or gif) is to click on the BROWSE button next to "filename" - then navigate to the file on your hard drive, double click it, and SUBMIT.

Rick, haven't tried this on attachable files, are those what you're having trouble with?

Paul, you can upload directly to the site with the above procedure - no separate site required... Steve

I think most of John's designs call for 12-degree angles when dealing with walls.

Rick, haven't tried this on attachable files, are those what you're having trouble with?

What do you mean by "attatchable" files Steve? At the site, there is a BROWZE, ATTATCH and SUBMIT buttons. For posting a drawing, I thought you HAD to use the ATTATCH button once you selected the file from your hard drive. That part works OK, as I see the file name come up in a little field next to the attatch button. Then I hit SUBMIT, and my post gets submitted, but not the .gif file. I do the same thing here and it works just fine.
So what does the ATTATCH button DO if you can attatch a .gif without using it:confused: Man, simple stuff like this just blows my patience out the window. Same thing with a LOT of so called "intuitive" buttons on windows programs. Talk about backwards thinking..Some do the exact opposite of what I THINK they should do...or something like that. Kind of like when you hit the SHUT DOWN button. You'd think it would shut down. Not. Then you have four more selections....ha! I guess its like my wife says, I'm basically a black and white type person....grey areas drive me NUTS! Ambiguity is NOT my friend. Either something IS or it ISN'T. Thats probably why I have so much trouble with acoustics:D That and being too lazy to do the calc thing.
Which is NOT my friend either...hahaha! I suck at math, let alone algebra, and forget the calculus thing...I BE LOST....man, when I see that stuff Eric and Thomas post...:eek: makes me want to forget this whole acoustics thing and go back to fishing!
And I HATE fishing anymore. BORIIIING. Did too much of it when I was a kid on Whidbey Island. I can't fathom the thought of sitting in a boat for hours trying to catch a stupid fish....oh well, to each his own. I spend hours trying to catch an answer to a stupid question. So go figure...hahah!

Now, I have a host server too, which I can upload my files to, and post the URL in the Text window, but I still like to post pics and drawings so they appear without having to click on a http thingy. I'm not very good with that stuff. Its just one more agrivating step to do. Its time consuming enough to save a .dwg to a .wmf file, open Paint pro and import the .wmf, crop and manuever it, compress it, and then export it to a .gif optimization thingy, and save it in that, ....by that time I've lost interest:D Then to try and post it at Johns, crap..I gave up last week. I thought I'd pissed ya off or something and you had me banned for life....hahahaha! Which I wouldn't have blamed you if I did...:p

fitZ

Back