Downsizing Studio

Dani Pace

With winter aproaching I am considering a little downsizing, maybe condensing would be a better term, my studio/practice room. Presently my studio is located in an old house with limited heat. I've been using three rooms, one for main tracking, second for isolation, and third for computer/gear storage. I'm trying to save on the upcomming heat bill so I am planning to consolidate everything into my largest room, 13' X 27'. My main concern is the best way to arriange things (computer desk, mixing board, drums, and several amps) for the most practical set up. I'm hoping some of you guys who are used to working in a single room will share some tips and ideas on things I should do, or things I should avoid. Where to put the computer/mixer for the best and most practical use is my first concern, I can locate the other stuff around it. The room will be one large open space, only the recording station and instruments/amps. Mostly the room will be used for practice (my band and my son's band) and some recording, most recording will be one instrument at a time. All suggestions, theories, and ideas appreciated.

Thanks Ethan, as always any advice from you is "taken as gospel." I'll give your set up a try. I may have to vary it a little just for additional space in the room but I'll try not to vary too much.

I'm still hoping to hear from a few others who are working in a similar environment and learn from their experiences.

Back