Control Room - Rear Wall Angle Symmetry

Doctor Biscuits

Hi all! I posted this over at John Sayer's a couple days ago as well, but have re no replies - maybe you can help! :)
I'm going to be starting construction on a sound studio in an old brick and beam warehouse type space, my work is primarily voice over and sound design for commercials, and music for TV/commercials (mostly in-the-box, with occasional guitars/vocals).
My space will be built into a larger room which has brick walls and hardwood floor, drywall/exposed wood beams on the ceiling. My total space for contol room and sound booth is about 32'x15.5', celings are 10'8" high. The new walls will be stud/drywall, with doubled 5/8" and Green Glue on one side at least.
My main question now though is about rear wall symetry. Due to the layout of the space, I will need to build an angle into the corner of the rear control room wall (around 45 degrees) to allow passage on the other side. This wall will also have the door to the control room in it. My question is, given that one side needs to be angled, is it better to duplicate this angle on the other side, or is it better to keep as much volume as possible in the room?
I would think symmetry would be important even in the rear, but trapping will be trickier the more angles I have and the loss of space isn't the greatest...
So I guess my question is: which is the lesser of two evils?
Thanks so much in advance!

Attachments

• Angle.jpg
    Angle.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 97
  • NoAngle.jpg
    NoAngle.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 90
A great sized space definitely! I think I would suggest using the angle, certainly. You still have the area behind the couch between the two angled walls for some very thick absorption to get down to the low frequencies. Have you thought of hiring an acoustician to design the space at all?

With both 45° angles you're going to have a bunch of reflections aimed at the couch. You can treat down to a point but anything below the treated range will build up pretty badly at the couch. On the up side it may placate clients with a tendency to over mix bass frequencies.

I would get the monitors off the desk and onto stands at an appropriate height.

Thanks for the input guys!
I seem to be getting a 50/50 split in opinion, which may indicate that it can go either way (or that the pros of each design are equal to the cons). As much as I'd love to get a proffesional acoustician to desing the space, it isn't really in the budget unfortunately - so I'm reading all I can and getting lots of great help online, learning slowly but surely!
Just to give a little more context, here is a floor plan of the full office (the blue walls are the proposed new build walls) and a couple photos of the space...

Attachments

• MASTER.jpg
    MASTER.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 79
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 75
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    336.7 KB · Views: 78
So I guess my question is: which is the lesser of two evils?
ummm, given the election was yesterday..I had the same question.:D I decided they were equal..so I didn't vote. :facepalm:

In regards to your studio, I have almost an identical situation. I opted for symmetry. I built an identical angled wall, and even put a door in it, and used the space behind as a small closet, for mics etc. Here was my plan. I was going to place 4" thick panels of 703 on the doors, and a diffuser in the space between the angled walls. For what it's worth, here is my design.

Attachments

• New Stingray Boundaries 2c Rear.jpg
    New Stingray Boundaries 2c Rear.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 62
One other thing. I see a large supply duct feeding different spaces. Are you changing that? You should. It's a perfect common flanking path for sound to transmit from and to other spaces.

Do I recognize it correctly as the "MyRoom" design?
:eek: Dang. Can't even hide in an obscure Home Recording forum anymore.:facepalm: Well...now that you caught me...ummm ..bingo.:D

(actually..boggy already saw this and commented positively)

Back