ambient lighting

i'd like some trippy lighting for my studio, and at first i was gonna get one of those dj lights, but apparently they're crazy bright for my small space, and they heat up and need turned off every 15 minutes. no good.

what i'm looking for is something that will introduce movement, colors, and basically a club feel while jamming with friends. pace adjustment would be a lovely bonus.

think 30-minute could-be-hallucinagen-induced stoner rock songs with speed/energy variations. i'm aware of led ropes and such, but they're just not going to give the mood i'm shooting for.

i couldn't find anything of use by searching the forum. any suggestions?

Take a look at this soffit lighting:cool: Might use a few different colors and or some chasing units. I see them on ebay under "rope lights".
http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3264

Actually, I use quite a few lighting things, like custom built trays under my console and portable lighting units with...of all things...christmas lights! They work great..I put em where ever I want, and hide the units behind things or under things. You can buy the sockets at any lighting supply store or some hardware stores. I even found them at Home Depot:eek::D I salvage all kinds of aluminum extrusions, such as old bathtub glass door kits etc. Make great project materials. Just rivet or screw them together. Cuts easy too.:)
is.php

is.php

is.php

And right now I'm building some sidewall "art" with hidden LED soffit lighting. Their not done yet. Still have to run the chaser cables to the computer for random circuit firing. Heres what its supposed to look like. The circles are colored plex.
is.php

You can search the net on LED projects for stuff to use too. Man, theres tons of info out there and very cool projects as well.
l'm using LED rope lighting under small footprint aluminum extrusion "soffits" right above stainless steel "wall base", where the walls meet the floor. These soffits will hide LED rope lighting. It will make the floor "float":D

Speaking of rope lights, thats what I used on my console, behind some custom colored plexiglass lens I made. Just laminate different colors of strips 2" x what ever length you need. You can get acrylic solven adhesive at any plastics store. Real easy to use. For polishing the edge, use a buffer or...in my case, a torch setup for plex...using HYDROGEN AND OXYGEN through a jewelers torch.

is.php

is.php

And THEN....I use various cheap and small LASER LEVELS for some REALLY cool effects. Of course, you have to position them so they NEVER hit someones eyes directly. They can blind you. I don't have pics of these effects yet, but maybe I'll take some tonight.

And of course, theres the old studio standard...LAVA LAMPS!!:D I STILL like them. Gonna build some custom ones though. Using these.
fitZ

Not to hijack this thread but... I tired some little hanging lights that are capabale of dimming and whenconnected in my studio even on a completely differnt socket it introduced NOISE in my signals. Could be heard easily with preamps 3/4 of the way up. Anything to avoid when doing lighting?

I tired some little hanging lights that are capabale of dimming and whenconnected in my studio even on a completely differnt socket it introduced NOISE in my signals.
Were these low voltage Halogens?
If so, the transformers were probably the culprit. Same with fluorescents.

so stay away from florescent, low watt halogens and dimmers?

I like dimmers are there any I CAN use? What are "the rules" for studio lighting?

Back