also need a little help on building a digital home studio

washburn10

hello!!
ive read this article on http://www.exhardware.com/reviews.php?Id=53
and browsed all your website, but i have a question

and i do have everything it said i need for a digital home studio:
A well equipped computer (K7 800 512RAM 40GB, CDRW, WINXP "NEVER CRASHES", although sometimes cakewalk does "drop outs")
A large hard drive to store all your digital data
A central "interface" where instruments or cables are plugged in to
High quality headphones/studio monitors (speakers)
Musical instruments and microphones
Good quality interconnecting cables
Software (cakewalk sonar 1.01)
-(4speakrs in the studio, 2 monitors inside)
-(12 channel mixer + the "interface")

also, i have the drums, 6 mic, 2 guitars 1 bass, 3 amps for them, and 1 extra 200W amp for the speakers.
to plug stuff on the mixer, i use the central "interfece" with lies inside the studio (i have an "aquarium" isolated form the studio with a windows glass)
as i have 4 speakers on the studio, i would like to plug them in the mixer and control each one individually... apparentrly i have to plugh the speakers on the 200W amp, so i can only control on the mixer the level of the microfone, guitars, etc,but i cannot control the speakers inside the studio individually. I really need to control each of the 4 speakers so i have no feedback on praticin/jam sessions. I though i could just plug the 200W amp on the mixer, and all the mixer would be amplified, so i could plug microfones and speaker directly on the mixer.
The bad thing is my mixer doesnt have a line out for each channel!! only:
1 stereo line out
2 stereo effec RTN (dont know what that is!)
2 stereo effects send
1 stereo tape in RCA
1 stereo tape out RCA
plus everything else (monitor and headphone)
as i said, i wish i could amplify the mixer, and plug all the studio's speakers on the mixer for better control!!
and the 200w amp only has 2 inputs! thats it! ant the red/black output for the speakers! no regular output!

this is what im doing, at least for jam sessions (not recording)

microfone>interface that leads to mïxer>mixer>amp>4speaker

that way i cannot control each of the 4 speakers individually!
what i wanted was:

microfone>interface that leads to mïxer>"amplified mixer">4speaker hooked to the mixer!

that way, i would connect the speaker on the mixer, and have better control!!

thanks for any help!

keep on rocking!

icq 24227587

sorry to sound like a hall monitor but.....

you might want to post this in a diff forum...like the plain recording techniques forum or maybe the computer/soundcard recording forum. Although you are "building" a studio, this forum is more of a BUILDING A STUDIO forum, mostly with regards to construction and acoustics.

dude....you don't have to be sarcastic. I'm not trying to be mean. If you're new to the board, you'll learn that if you post in the right area, you'll get more response....which I'm assuming is what you want since you're asking a question.

while you are on the wrong forum, I will tell you that what you need to do is use the busses of the mixer in a more advanced way.

Typically, you can use the stereo outs for either your control room mix (engineer) and/or the mix for the stereo recorder(s).

Busses 1/2 could be a stereo mix for the musicians.
or 3/4, 5/6, whatever.

You could also use aux sends for this purpose. But of course you'd need more than one power amp. Here is how my studio is configured:

Console L/R - engineer (console) mix
Aux 3/4 - foldback to garage for musicians, powered via a Peavey CS800 amplifier. Aux 3/4 is never recorded.

buss 1/2 - front stereo mix
buss 3/4 - rear stereo mix
buss 5 - center
buss 6 - LFE (subwoofer)
buss 7/8 - vocal foldback for vocal booth, and those wishing to monitor the vocal booth mix.

Depending on the vocalist, I often have an extra lead synth thats not recorded in which the vocalist can use to use as a pitch guideline if he/she wishes. If not, I just mute the synth and then the vocal mix is very much like the 7/8 garage mix.

Its a bunch of wires, use your imagination in your routing :)

Back