Acoustic panels... 2" or 4"

MindBender

Hello everybody ... this is my first post. You might be hearing a lot from me over the next week because i'm about to put together some panels, and i'm NOT very good carpenter. Anyway, I have 2 initial questions...

1. ASIDE from cost & space, do 2" panels have ANY advantage over 4"? I record mostly urban music (a lot of sub bass), and i was thinking of making 4" panels for my early reflections points in addition to the corner bass panels. I have enough space for this, and i was even considering having an inch or 2 of airspace also. I'll be using 8# rock wool if that makes any difference. So is there any downside to this plan?

2. When it comes to framing, i saw some designs where the frame is mounted behind the insulation rather that around it, leaving the edges of the sheet exposed for more absorption. Is that a common way to frame or is there a downside?

Thanks!!

i don't think there will be any downside to using the 4" for your first reflection points. since you'll be buying the 4" stuff for the corners any way, it makes sense to use it for the side walls.

placing the frame behind the insulation is just to provide air space, which is a good idea. you could just use a small cardboard frame behind the panels to provide the air space.

Having the sides exposed is great if you can get it covered and looking nice without a frame.

2" will offer no benefit over 4" in terms of range covered. That said, you should use what's best for the room overall. I have no idea what would be best for your room since you don't give dimensions.

All I'm saying is budget is never unlimited. In most cases, for the same money, I'd rather do 2" panels at reflection points to be able to do more - or to be able to do sollid chunk style bass absorbers in a room - rather than just say OK, everything is 4".

Bryan

Having the sides exposed is great if you can get it covered and looking nice without a frame.

If i attempted to do this, could i use something like liquid nails to mount the rock wool on top of the frame?

2" will offer no benefit over 4" in terms of range covered. That said, you should use what's best for the room overall. I have no idea what would be best for your room since you don't give dimensions.

Sorry about that... here are the dimensions. Like i said i do a lot of urban music so the lower frequencies can be a problem sometimes, which is why i was thinking "more" 4" panels than just in the corners.

Attachments

• Room dimensions.jpg
    Room dimensions.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 49
Back