Absorption-diffusion confusion

HapiCmpur

In a small, one-room studio (about 12' by 14'), would it be better to put an absorption panel or a diffusor on the ceiling right above my main recording position? (Not the mixing position.)

The ceiling is 7'-8" high, and the floor is Pergo laminate. All of the corners in the room and most of the wall surfaces are (or soon will be) treated with absorption panels. There are currently no diffusors in the room.

Absorption. This is to control early reflection off the ceiling, and to force a standing wave to become a traveling wave in this location, as you cannot put an absorber on the floor(at least that is my understanding. (some may disagree as per traveling wave)

One school of thought says diffusers in a control room should only be used to diffuse specular reflection off a rear wall, and only if the distance from the wall to the engineering position is 3 times that of the distance from the mix position to the monitors. Any closer and you won't get the benifit of diffusion, as they are 1/4 wavelength silencers also. Therefore, at close range, they produce combfiltering and other sonic artifacts.

Actually, there is another school of thought that says a diffuse sound field cannot exist in small rooms. Yet others say it can, within a mid-high band of frequencies. There are other experts that have designed large quadratic residue type diffusers for diffusion of low frequencies, however, just as absorption by resistance absorbers take up deep floor space via 1/4 wavelength principles, so do low frequency diffusers. Well depths can approach 3' and and width of a foot. Yet there are others who swear by them and even haul a few QRD's to live recording venues for placement on the stage. Almost all pro studios use them in the live rooms, although the rooms are usually very large, where large expanses of wall areas need to have specular reflection diffused.

Personally, I am a little disappointed with diffuser device hype. As one well known acoustician told me, you can acheive good diffusion(within reason and room dimensions) by using patchwork pattern application of absorption panels. Why go to the trouble of building bulky and space consuming devices
fitZ
PS. My disclaimer is in full effect here...ie..I ain't no expert. I'm all ears for disagreement and clarification from those that are.:D
fitZ

Another use for diffusion is to be to keep the room's reverb decay time up. But in smallish rooms there's not a lot (time wise) to play with. So are choices in the trenches are a bit more limited -leave in some short and/or as bright as you care to go reflections at 10-12ms, or not.

Not sure this is exactly true, but notice how a big portion of our small room ambience falls within the time window where we will hear them as attached and part of the source. Wouldn't this be a yellow flag as to how much clarity or focus we can get as soon as we pull a mic back enough to get some of the room?
I figure part of the goal for small room treatment may be to keep it clean enough up front and to allow you to simulate a larger space (if that's called for).
(Same disclaimer as above. ;)
Wayne

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
PS. My disclaimer is in full effect here...ie..I ain't no expert.
mixsit said:
Same disclaimer as above.
That's some mighty impressive humility considering the number of Rep Points you guys have accumulated. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I'll hang an absorber over my recording position and try to stagger the wall panels enough that I don't completely choke the room.

Back