do lyrics REALLY matter?

Lyrics are the most important thing in instrumentals!
I mentally try to find lyrics for the melody.
Lyrics do matter, without them the melody has a hard time hanging on to your brain. With them the melody has a 2nd chance at being beautiful. Without them the singer has to try to make scatting (no, not that sort!) interesting for a whole song. With them a little sublimation may make the world a better place for one person for a nano second. Without them the melody has a hard time hanging on to your brain. With them the melody has a 2nd chance at being beautiful. Without them the singer has to try to make scatting (no, not that sort!) interesting for a whole song. With them a little sublimation may make the world a better place for one person for a nano second. Without them the melody has a hard time hanging on to your brain. With them the melody has a 2nd chance at being beautiful. Without them the singer has to try to make scatting (no, not that sort!) interesting for a whole song. With them a little sublimation may make the world a better place for one person for a nano second.

Last edited:
Lyrics do matter, without them the melody has a hard time hanging on to your brain.

no, i'm not saying a song w/vocals vs. an instrumental. the question has always been, does it really matter what those words are, and the answer is obviously no. just read post #1.

the answer is right here:

I wish that I could fly
Into the sky
So very high
Just like a dragonfly

I'd fly above the trees
Over the seas in all degrees
To anywhere I please

Oh I want to get away
I want to fly away
Yeah yeah yeah

Oh I want to get away
I want to fly away
Yeah yeah yeah

Let's go and see the stars
The Milky Way or even Mars
Where they could just be ours

Let's fade into the sun
Let your spirit fly
For we are one
Just for a little fun
Oh, oh, oh yeah !

I want to get away
I want to fly away
Yeah yeah yeah

I want to get away
I want to fly away
Yeah yeah yeah

I got to get away
Girl I got to get away
Oh oh oh yeah

I want to get away
I want to fly away
Yeah with you yeah yeah
Oh Yeah !

I want to get away
I want to fly away
Yeah with you yeah yeah
I got to get away

I want to get away (4x)
Yeah
I want to get away
I want to fly away
Yeah with you yeah yeah
Girl I got to get away

I want to get away (4x)
Yeah

I want to get away
I want to fly away
Yeah with you
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
It has long been debated in scientific circles that if you gave some monkeys pens and paper and left them for 10,000 years, they'd not really come up with the works of Shakespeare, more likely they'd arrive at this !

Lyrics only matter to teenage girls and old ladies.
I've long wondered how come I could hit the high notes.
Norman Smith, who mixed a lot of the Beatles songs, said he thought most of their songs were good when he recorded them until one day they brought in a song and he thought, "man this one's not going to work", the lyrics went like this:

"She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah
She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah
She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah...................yeah"

that's some pretty deep shit!
Funny, mention that song and only that chorus ever gets remembered ! The rest of the lyric is good for a group of scousers in 1963. Second sensible lyric they did IMO.
They do and they don't.
That's right on the money for some and not for others.

it's not a discussion, stupid.
I think it got taken out of your hands, mate. Such disobedient children, eh ?

I went on a big Costco/Home Depot fest last night and 30 years ago I wouldn't have predicted that in 2010 they'd be playing "That's the Way, Uh ha, Uh ha" and "I Love the Nightlife".

I Think Lyrics do matter a hell of a lot. Songs in an instrumental level have the ability to communicate with you. But lyrics have the ability to speak to you on an emotional level. I dont think lyrics need to be so serious to a point where people are trying to write good lyrics by putting in big words and such. It just gives off a pretencious vibe which I dont like. However I think the lyrics of today are an all time low. I turn on the radio and hear nothing but this whole 'brit rap' thig thats going on. and it just depresses me that the mojority of people on this good earth are so un-cultured and hollow headed. to like this crap. Aww well its the whole simon cowell symdrome. . . create a song thats mimed by some pritty lass, with some mindless lyrics. . . there you go a few million in the bank. LOL tut tut tut. . when did music become all about the money.

Sorry for the rant :)

I Think Lyrics do matter a hell of a lot. Songs in an instrumental level have the ability to communicate with you. But lyrics have the ability to speak to you on an emotional level.

let me say this just one more time:

no, i'm not saying a song w/vocals vs. an instrumental. the question has always been, does it really matter what those words are, and the answer is obviously no. just read post #1.

Post #1 doesn't make the point unless that point is that poor lyrics in a poor song can be a hit but the lyric probably does matter to someone who felt locked into a situation or circumstance from which they longed to flee.
You could just as well have made the opposite point & use the lyrics from Imagine & I'd respond that good lyrics in a good song can be a hit.
It also depends on what you consider good lyrics.
I think Ice-Cream Man by Jonathon Richman is a great song with terrific lyrics.
On the other end Road Runner is a great song by Jonathon Richman with almost nonesense lyrics but they're great because they sound good and give some essence of what he's banging to go on about.
The lyric you quoted is no better or worse than The Lady In Red or Rosanna or My Sharona but the message they relay, as liimited as they are, resonate with some listeners so they do matter.
From my position: that is someone who listens to, writes, analyses, recites, reads lyrics they do matter.

Lyrics don't matter - at all. Vocal performance, melody, and cadence does. The actual words mean exactly jack shit. How they're belted out matters a bunch.

Back