You guys aren't hardcore enough.

chessrock

Banned
All you guys who think you're hardcore ... you're not.

I just saw pictures of some dude using a kitty litter box as a kick drum tunnel. And I thought to myself: "Now that guy is hard core."

You guys can't even hold this guy's kitty jock strap, you're so not hard core.

I know a guy who didn't have a multi-track recorder, but he had like 4 tape decks. So the dude records 8 tracks, simultaneously, by having 4 people all hit "record" on each of the tape decks, simultaneously, and then had to sync up each of the tracks through his mixer by having the play button pressed on all four tape decks, again, simultaneously.

This due was hard core.

You guys don't even know what hardcore is ... with all yer fancy computers and sound cards. Go play with your dolls or something.

and the guy that wraps his amps in tin foil and hits record?

the guy that has someone else swing the mic in front of the amp and hits record?

the guy that has the dog hold the mic in it's mouth in front of the amp and hits record?

the guy that takes 24 mics to record 12 daisy chained guitar amps in a line?

the guy that takes a shit "lunch box" marshall amp, sticks it under a garbage pail with a mic and hits record?

miracles are happening everyday :D

well years ago I plugged an old set of headphones into a GEQ stomp box and fed it into a tascam porta01 4 track .... I got a not to bad result

Thought that was pretty hardcore at the time

My first recording set-up:

Two portable cassette tape decks circa 1980. Portable, you know, the size of a lunchbox, both with plastic mics that had 1/8" jacks. I was 14.

I would record drums onto one. My drum kit was me stomping hard on the kitchen floor for a kick, tapping a spoon on the table for snare, and another spoon on a metal bowl for hi-hats. I would play that back through the speaker, strum a rhythm on my acoustic, and record both of those with the second deck's mic. Then I would play that whole mess on the second deck, through the four inch speaker, and record that and a lead on the first deck.

My first multi-tracking was Y-cables, all plugged together so I had four tracks, mixed on the fly by moving stuff closer or farther from the mics.

I also had to walk uphill six miles both ways to school.
:p

Sheesh, Chess. That's nothing. A friend of mine in the Upper Peninsula didn't have any instruments at all, nothing to record with and absolutely NO knowledge of music or engineering. So he improvised by chiselling the sounds into a rock wall in a cave using his fingernails and then listened to it by running the length of the wall with his ear to the rock. Now THAT's hard core.

:)

Multitrackin' is fer young whippersnappers!

I don't like the way things are today . . . all this using digital audio workstations and VST plug-ins fer multitrackin'! I hate it!

Back in my day, we'd just use the built-in mic on a boombox and get everybody with their Crate amps, solid state Marshalls, cracked cymbals and Fender Squire Bullets in the same room! And we only had one tape, so we kept using it over and over agin! And if the guitarist played a solo so bad he stunk up the place, all you could do was to open up the windows so you could hear the angry neighbor yellin' over his lawnmower that he was gonna call the cops! The erase head didn't work that well so you could hear Megadeth wailing underneath our hit recording of "Wanted: Dead or Alive!" Glory be!

That's the way it was, and we liked it! O happy day! We were just a bunch of hair-band wannabe no-account punk youths with no mics, no PA, and no talent, that just the was, I tell ya, and we loved it!

chessrock said:
I just saw pictures of some dude using a kitty litter box as a kick drum tunnel. And I thought to myself: "Now that guy is hard core."

was it a kitty litter BOX or was it one of those plastic tubs that holds 30lbs of litter? b/c i've used one of those tubs as a kick drum before, and THAT was pretty hard core. in fact, it'll double as all manner of percussion instruments....you can even record vocals using it. now THAT is a ghetto blaster!

leave a little litter in there and it makes a decent shaker too.

if put the cat in there while you're using it as a shaker, when you let it out, you can get a bitchin cover of Cat Scratch Fever......

cheers,
wade

As a child of the digital revolution, I'm concerned I may NEVER be hardcore. In ten years, I probably won't even need mics or a recording format at all, it'll all be done my a DSP implant in my brain and beamed to kitty litters everywhere. That is so NOT hard core.

noisedude said:
In ten years, I probably won't even need mics or a recording format at all, it'll all be done my a DSP implant in my brain and beamed to kitty litters everywhere. That is so NOT hard core.

You got it all wrong. Actually ... if you could come up with some means of doing that ... that would be pretty hardcore.

You ever heard my voice??? That's hardcore. At least if your ears survive, then something is hardcore. Now, carry on.... :cool:

I think syncing 4 tape decks is just retarded.

but I used to use 2 ghetto blasters and play one really loud while I recorded the overdub into a second tape player. that was hardcore. now i've got a r2r so its post-hardcore.

I think the fact that we've been putting up with Chessrock in these forums since 2001 is about as hardcore as you can get. ;) :D

G.

chessrock said:
You got it all wrong. Actually ... if you could come up with some means of doing that ... that would be pretty hardcore.
I just thought - I sometimes record acoustic by clamping a pair of headphones over the body of a guitar ... is that hardcore?

Nobody has seen hardcore until you watch someone mic up a stoned punk drummers snare with an original Neumann U47:D

Back