What was Patty Griffin's, 1000 Kisses recorded with?

filmdude11

I'm just curious. I'm a huge fan of Patty Griffin. That record, 1000 Kisses was recorded in Doug Lancio's basement. It sounds really great. Anyone know?

I don't know, but I LOVE that album. The songs are great and the engineering is top notch. They really captured all the nuances of her voice and guitar playing. The arrangements and backup are very tasteful was well.
I saw her open for the Badlees (not sure what happened to them) in College back in 1996 when she was promoting Living With Ghosts (another great album).

I actually like Flaming Red better than 1000 Kisses...

Flaming Red is a great example of folk-rock being mixed with modern sounds (looping etc)...

Its such a raw album that its cool.

I also saw her perform most of the songs on Austin City Limits a year or so back and it blew me away.

hell yeah...

... i was lucky enough to run sound for her a couple times for in-store appearances when i worked at a music store. i'm actually a mediocre sound man, but i was the only one that worked there that knew how to run the board at all.
she and her stripped down band (cello, accordian, a guy on tele and subtle effects, and patti singing and playing acoustic guitar) were phenominal. i got to speak with her a bit, and i guess living with ghosts was some home demos that made their way to being released. i know she's definitely one for analog gear, and i think she just records at her very talented friends home studios.
peace - jv

Yeah... that's what's cool about Flaming Red... its got loop effects on it, but they are all REAL instruments... and some really whacked out guitar tones :)

Besides the fact that some of the songs are just written very very well...

"Tony" and "Blue Sky" are probably my favorit on the album.

Velvet Elvis

Hey Guys,
I asked on the Patty Griffin forum, and her soundman showed up and said that the album was recorded on a Roland Digital Workstation. It was an older model than what's out now, one with 16 tracks.

Corey

wow...

... that just goes to show you, with talent like that, it really doesn't matter what you record on. i would have never guessed that was a digital recording. i heard otherwise, but i believe it.
damn she's good.
peace- jv

Back