Want to use four-track as an interface

sullivansweat

Hi guys,
I'm new to home recording; I use the factory mic on my macbook and garageband to record demos and whatnot. Anyways, I'm thinking about buying a 2 channel interface but I have a four-track cassette recorder that captures all sounds very well. So, before I buy the interface I would like to know if anybody knew whether I could record through the four-track into my computer, or if I would have to record on the four-track first then transfer it, or if I can't use the four-track at all with my mac. The four-track has standard audio inputs in the back (like the ones you would plug into a stereo, one's red and the other white) and four inputs in the front that accommodate guitar-cord-sized cords, and I have XLR adapters so I can run the mics into it. If anybody could enlighten me as to whether this is possible or not, that would much appreciated.
Cheers!

If the recorder allows direct monitoring out of the stereo outputs, then you could run the mics into the recorder out to the soundcard of your computer, but what would be the point? The weak link in your audio chain is the analog-to-digital converters in your computer's factory soundcard. Even a modestly-priced 2 or 4-channel audio interface will make a huge difference in sound quality.

I agree with Mike!!!

I'm going to 'fess up and admit that I tried stuff like this a very long time ago. Trust me, nothing but headaches. A 2-channel interface will be worth the investment. They are not expensive and work pretty good. Most are about the same quality, though sub features will vary from one to another.

I've got the Focusrite scarlet 2i2 and enjoy it. It doesn't do midi, but I don't need that function.

Back