Video cameras for youtube videos dilemma, and maybe merging former equipment.

Winfred

Hi!

I bought the Scarlet 2i2 3rd Gen in early January. It is still sealed in the box as of today 4-22-20. I got depressed thinking I'd have to learn ProTools all over again. I learned ProTools in 2003, and remember the pain. I was younger then and more enthusiastic technically, but not so now at 66. I also now have much less money subsisting on a small Social Security income. So after buying the 2i2 I later realized I had made a foolish decision (maybe). Since CoVid19 I decided I will make YouTube videos since all the coffeehouses are closed. Now it seems it's inevitable I still have to learn editing software as I have now decided to instead own a video camera that hopefully has comparable audio quality as the 2i2, maybe the Zoom q8 that has XLR inputs. If I also want to add in nice scenes, something besides the camera just on me all the time, for my videos for YouTube, that I still have to learn something like ProTools, right? If I keep it simple with the camera on me only would I then not have to use ProTools?

Another possibility... I have 2 nice condenser mics from back in 2003 that run on phantom power and still have the nice cables and stands. The Zoom q8 video recorder has two XLR mic inputs... so does that mean if I had the Zoom q8 video camera I wouldn't need the 2i2 because I could use my condenser mics and record with just as good audio as the 2i2? In other words... owning a q8 is just as good quality audio as owning the 2i2, right? Also, does the q8 have the option to record audio only? I ask this because if my original music catches on well enough on YouTube I might record audio only and put my music for sale on Spotify. If all of the just mentioned is so with the q8... I could then sell the 2i2 still factory sealed maybe on Craig's List... but wonder what any of you think.

There's also the inverse. I bought the 2i2 for $160, and if I found a camera cheaper than the q8, and even one with 4k (q8 is only 3k), would that be better? The only other problem is shooting outside where the q8 is all in one. I also don't think the 2i2 can even be taken just anywhere without 120v AC, right?

Also, in general, do any of you know... is the Zoom q2n-4k just jumping from $200 to $220, the Zoom q4n (older generation) at $300, and the Zoom q8 at $400 and noticing some just in past few days selling it for $450, with each progressively being a grade better than the other, does that also mean each is progressively more difficult to use? What I mean, is like the Zoom q2n-4k easier to use than the q8 etc? Also, is 4k video resolution that much noticeably better than 3k? Any advice is very much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Winfred

Last edited:
Unless you're going to record live events I would lean toward keeping the 2i2 and getting a decent camcorder, something with optical (rather than digital) zoom and some degree of control over exposure settings etc. My Sony cameras (and others, including the Q8) have a viewscreen that can be flipped toward the subject, so you can check your framing while in your performance position. I don't think the Zoom video recorders have any zoom capability, which is kind of ironic.

For best audio results, and to edit the video down to the desired portion, you're going to need to go into the computer anyway. Why not just capture audio directly to the computer and save yourself that step?

Recording and mixing two tracks live isn't too hard. You only have to learn as much of the software as you need to get that done. Editing a single camera and syncing up your mixed audio should be something you can manage. I admit my perspective may be skewed because I do live music videos with up to seven cameras and more than a dozen audio inputs.

The Q8 looks like a handy piece of gear.

You can capture conventional video using its own x-y mikes, or add in your own condensors using the XLR inputs. Or use both its own and yours. Or use the TRS inputs to input another audio source.

It also functions as a 4 channel USB interface, so even if you gave up on the video, you could still use it as an interface.

Because it's a camera, it is highly portable, which gives it an advantage over the 2i2.

If you intend to mix live video with scenes, you will need a video editing program. I don't know whether ProTools does video. However, Reaper does audio and video, and probably enough for you to do what you want. Or you could get Vegas which is more powerful video editor.

All programs involve a learning curve, so there's no way around that. However, advances have been made since 2003, and audio programs are a lot easier to learn now than they were. They also have more features.

I note that the Q8 lists an AC adaptor as being sold separately. I think it's worth getting one.

The Q8 looks like a handy piece of gear.

You can capture conventional video using its own x-y mikes, or add in your own condensors using the XLR inputs. Or use both its own and yours. Or use the TRS inputs to input another audio source.

It also functions as a 4 channel USB interface, so even if you gave up on the video, you could still use it as an interface.

Because it's a camera, it is highly portable, which gives it an advantage over the 2i2.

If you intend to mix live video with scenes, you will need a video editing program. I don't know whether ProTools does video. However, Reaper does audio and video, and probably enough for you to do what you want. Or you could get Vegas which is more powerful video editor.

All programs involve a learning curve, so there's no way around that. However, advances have been made since 2003, and audio programs are a lot easier to learn now than they were. They also have more features.

I note that the Q8 lists an AC adaptor as being sold separately. I think it's worth getting one.

Hi Gecko zzed!

Thanks again for showing up and great advice! You mention -- "It also functions as a 4 channel USB interface, so even if you gave up on the video, you could still use it as an interface." What is a 4 channel USB interface?

By mentioning, "...even if you gave up on the video...". do you mean the USB interface means I somehow bypass the video part of it all and only record audio? I hope to do that as well if one of my YouTube songs does well. I'd record it without video and post it on Spotify.

What are TRS inputs?

So you think the quality of audio from the q8 is just as good as the Scarlet 2i2 I still have?

So I guess this might mean to sell my 2i2 and buy the q8... but I'll see what advice comes along. You're getting me closer to my decision and I appreciate that! This is very nice of you responding so fast as just a few days ago the Zoom q2n-4k went from $200 to $220. The q8 just today I started noticing some selling them for $450 when a few days ago they were all $400. I'm also seeing, "none available", "sold out" etc. So with the weird economy things can change fast and the clock is ticking on my decision. I'm wondering if a lot of musicians, with the virus conditions, are turning to YouTube with their music in greater numbers. Have you heard? Also, am I not considering other brands you might know of in the same price range. Even if I buy a q8 at $400 I still have to buy a good memory card. I'd like a 128GB, one on the Zoom list, like the SamDisk Elite I think it is... probably not cheap.

At my level of things too, I don't know how well my music will be received. I can say it's been nice at open mics for 2 yrs. In another sense, at 66 yrs, I in a way want to "leave something behind", before I get a stroke or heart attack etc. Also not one but both of my parents had that bad shakiness, I think it's called "intention tremens" or something like that. I see 2 of my 3 older sibs getting it. My brother got it so bad he had to quit at about age 76 as a visual artist. Then he had a stroke, then later died from cancer last July at 79, and my older sister of cancer at 57 in 1999. I am vegetarian and take vitamins including B12 that helps the nerves etc. If I get the shakes it's going to really interfere. I think I have a few years of being able to perform yet... but that feeling looms once in a while. So the clock ticks for me in more ways than one! Thanks again for all! Also, I fully understand if you don't have time with all my questions and slow learning curve.

Top of the Evening!
Winfred

The Scarlett 2i2 is an interface. Many portable audio recorders can function as an audio interface, though often they lack some conveniences of purpose built interfaces.

TRS means tip, ring, sleeve. It's a description of the 1/4" (6.35mm) connector portion of the combo connector on the Q8. It means it can accommodate balanced signals, which take three conductors (+, - and ground). Headphones also use TRS but for unbalanced stereo: left, right and ground. Guitar cables use TS plugs (no ring) because their signals are unbalanced.

By mentioning, "...even if you gave up on the video...". do you mean the USB interface means I somehow bypass the video part of it all and only record audio?

I expect you could bypass the video and just record audio. But even if you recorded the video, you could always ditch it later.

So you think the quality of audio from the q8 is just as good as the Scarlet 2i2 I still have?
I have no experience with either so I can't really say. However, I expect they would be comparable.

Also not one but both of my parents had that bad shakiness, I think it's called "intention tremens" or something like that.
It's Essential Tremor: "Essential tremor is a nervous system (neurological) disorder that causes involuntary and rhythmic shaking. It can affect almost any part of your body, but the trembling occurs most often in your hands — especially when you do simple tasks, such as drinking from a glass or tying shoelaces."

Last edited:
1) You do not need to 're-learn' Protools - there are many other DAWs (recording software_ available, including free ones like Cubase.
2) The 2i2 is USB-powered, so if you have a laptop, you could use this away from 120VAC power
3) Record the video and audio at the same time - but with separate devices, then combine these in video software (many options for this).
4) Use a tripod for the camera to eliminate the shakiness. There are small tabletop tripods that sell for $10.
5)If you have a smartphone, you can record video on it, audio with 2i2, then combine them. If you've got a newer generation iPhone, the camera and microphone will work fine for recording yourself doing a 'live' performance.

There are also lots of video processing software applications out there as well which are very simple to use for your vid editing.

4K is great. As is 1080 HD.

When you watch in 4K you need a 4K TV or vid monitor and a descent internet speed. For you to process 4K you need a 4k monitor and a very descent processor and graphics card with ram able to handle it.......and obviously a 4K camera.

1080 HD can be watched by most people anywhere, with most monitors which will be HD, and with all but the slowest internet speed. You can get a HD camera anywhere for minimum money and will most likely have a 1080HD monitor with your computer which may be less than 5 years old so possibly able to process HD videos.

Do people watch 4K over HD and other? Most videos around are under 4K so there is your answer. Will people prefer a 4K video over your HD video? Not if the content is worth watching.

Last edited:
Back