Track Order, Best Placement for each instrument + a phase question

Carbona

Ok, so I got my Tascam 388 (1/4" 8-track) totally working, I'm gonna record some stuff in a few days. Up until this point, I've done everything on cassettes (tascam 238) and never really gave that much thought to track order.

Normally, I run stuff into the red (punk recordings), then just barely let it clip on the mixdown. So far this has worked well.

So far, I've always done it this way:

Track 1 - Overhead Mic
Track 2 - Kick Drum
Track 3 - Snare Drum
Track 4 - Guitar 1
Track 5 - Vocals
Track 6 - Guitar 2
Track 7 - Bass
Track 8 - Solos, Etc.

I was wondering, is the track order that important? I mean, in theory, what are the worst possible instruments to go on the edge tracks?

Does anyone see anything wrong here?

Using the search feature for this question got a little tricky :confused:

-Edit-
Another quick question:
If I record something that happens to be out of phase, is it too late to reverse or change the phase once it's printed to tape? I'm mixing down to audition, and I've got a delta 1010lt to separate each track. Will the phase tool in audition work even though it was out of phase when recorded?

Last edited:
I'd say, layout your tracks in a manner that is most comfortable and familiar to you. I know all kinds of people use different approaches, and this is one of those areas where there are no definitive answers. If you're layout works for you, leave it be (If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right???).

If each track is kept seperate until final mixdown, they can be processed in any way you want (including Phase tool), Phase problems don't manifest themselfs until they are combined with other tracks.

Bulls Hit said:
Just out of interest, why are you recording to tape instead of your hard drive through the LT?

Presumably, because it sounds better.

The problem with that theory is, with 1/4 inch eight track, you are wasting your time. The sound of tape just is not there. I mean, a professional eight track records to 1 inch tape, and even 1/2 inch doesn't sound very good. 1/4 inch eight track is just a joke. There is not enough surface area to give you anything even close to a reasonable signal to noise ratio, nor a sound that is anything like professional.

Sorry, but with 1/4 inch eight track, don't bother.

(By the way, I am an absolute Luddite when it comes to recording. I LOVE analog, but PROFESSIONAL analog. If your budget can't afford real analog gear, digital is FAR better.)

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I've tried to record straight into the 1010lt, and though the fidelity was far better, it's just not what we're looking for. Lo-fi stuff is what we dig, so I think the 1/4" tape route is a good one...and although it's not anywhere near the fidelity of 1" tape, it's at least in theory twice as good as cassette tapes. We've tried to record at studios (on 1" tape mostly) and to tell you the truth, it sounded WAY too slick for my taste, so from that point on I've taken it upon myself to learn everything I can about recording ourselves...we're almost there.

Good for you. It's all about what works for you. Technical superiority isn't always the most important thing, especially when Lo-Fi is an integral part of your sound.

Cheers

I agree with Atterion if it's a part of your sound keep it.
Sounds like your doing an excellent job so far.

Back