Too Little, Too Much, Just Right

Jeroleen

Too many parts can spoil the mix. Not enough can leave the song sounding weak and empty. Just right is a balancing act.

Whatever is done, whatever equipment is used, it just doesn't matter unless you get the balance between instrumentation, parts and sounds and vocals all right. Not always an easy thing but once you get it, look out.

one of my biggest "revelations" was that just b/c a part was recorded, doesn't mean it has to be playing all the time, or even used at all. recording is a harsh mistress--and microphones shed an unholy light on those things that just don't work. the trick is being able to pull em out and not feel overly guilty about it. :D

wade

You're absolutely right, but for me it's easier said than done. I am always fighting with myself trying not to crom it all in.

The same can be said for frequencies, something I learned from Sjoko, who mastered my first CD. Sometimes, if you shelve the unecessary frequencies of a part, it gives every other part an acoustic space to live in.-Richie

I'm finding out about the delicate balance of haveing the takes just right. I'm useing the Zoom compact hard disk recorder with all the built in effects.
I havent got it down yet, the mixdowns are allways too muddy or too week or too hot.

I'm looking for anyone who is familiar with zoom products who can give me some pointers.

Mic's

mrface2112 said:
one of my biggest "revelations" was that just b/c a part was recorded, doesn't mean it has to be playing all the time, or even used at all. recording is a harsh mistress--and microphones shed an unholy light on those things that just don't work. the trick is being able to pull em out and not feel overly guilty about it. :D

wade

Samson makes a condenser mic that works great for vocal and accoustic guitar. Its cost less than two hundred bucks. I got mine on sale for a hundred bucks and the results are great.
Its the Studio Condenser mic, modle CO1.

Good point by Richie Monroe. Itis not only the quantity of notes but the frequencies being filled that can cause muddiness and take away from the direction and movement in the music.

If you consider a composer such as Igor Stravinsky, for instance. Some of the writing is very dense with counter rhythms flying but the writing was so brilliantly conceived that there is room for everything. You know this because you can hear everything and it never is too much or too little, it is always just right.

Acheiving something approaching such a level of integration and flow in pop music is what makes the pros and top producers so great.

It is constantly the quest and as I record, arrange, write, engineer and mix more and more, I begin to pay more attention to these types of issues and the music and recordings improve exponentially as a result.

The point is, there is not one piece of equipment, mic, reverb, DAW, computer, keyboard, amp, speaker whatever that can improve my productions. They can improve a sound or add a different sound but, if I want better productions, I must grapple with the fine tuning of the arrangements. This is infinitely more difficult than learning the correct setting for a compressor or deciding which pre-amp you think is best.

These are the issues that will make the difference and all of us should take a good hard look at the work we do and ask ourselves if we are improving in the way we map out our productions so that the parts work better together, the frequencies are well balanced, the timing and execution of the parts is properly done, the levels and panning are properly balanced and the overall dynamic is correct.

I truly believe that by mastering such things, we can extract the most from our equipment and the particular nuances between the various brands becomes less important.

perspective changes everything

<<Samson makes a condenser mic that works great for vocal and accoustic guitar. Its cost less than two hundred bucks. I got mine on sale for a hundred bucks and the results are great.
Its the Studio Condenser mic, modle CO1.>>

i didn't mean that my gear or results were harsh. i meant that nothing accentuates the flaws in a part, song, voice, etc., like sticking a mic in front of it.

for instance, my band thought we "rocked" a certain song at practice the other night. we listened to the tape afterwards and found out that it (and we) didn't sound nearly as good as we'd thought.

the same can be said for a mix--you need to learn to un-marry yourself from a particular part, or distance yourself from your material. just b/c you wrote that part to go in that spot doesn't mean that it should or that it even sounds good in the first place.

and yes, learning the ways frequencies intermingle is one of the most major factors in clarity in a mix. gotta keep those guitars, basses and drums living in their own cages!

wade

for instance, my band thought we "rocked" a certain song at practice the other night. we listened to the tape afterwards and found out that it (and we) didn't sound nearly as good as we'd thought.

Red Alert mrface2112 - If I read you right the same thing used to bug me. In addition the band never really knows what an actual performance sounds like to the audience since the sum of the parts don't really develop until a number of feet away from the band.

We would listen to live shows and practice recordings - trouble was everything was close mic'd or DI'd. That really gave the wrong impression of the big picture. It was good if you wanted to hear a pick digging in too deep I guess :)

Anyway I've used SIR to put some room and distance and air back into some old close mic'd tracks to give them a more realistic sound.

He He - I'm done - you said something that made me remember...
kylen

<<Red Alert mrface2112 >>

just so we're both on the same page, the "as good as we thought" didn't mean in terms of how it sounded. it meant purely in terms of performance. ;-) notes weren't hit, drums were sloppy and tempos rushed and dragged. it was one of those things that we'd thought we'd played so well and we really hadn't. at the same time, it's a "realizer", b/c it makes you really listen to what went down versus what you thought went down. they're often two very different things.

i know what you're talking about with the "soundboard" versus "audience" thing, too. you can have a nice, pristine soundboard recording of a show, and it sounds dead and lifeless.....whereas the recording from a pair of room mics pointed at the PA sounds much more alive. when playing gigs, whenever possible i stick up a set of mics (603's usually) just to grab an idea of what it sounded like in the room in addition to running a board feed.

wade

Back