tips for recording death metal

psycho666

i cant get a decent sound from anything when i record my guitar with a digi tech death metal pedal, without spending to much money can i get some tips?

...can we please have some details? What's your chain, what's your amp, what's your guitar? What are you recording onto? What mic are you using? Or are you going guitar-pedal-stock soundcard with the Windows Sound Recorder thing and expecting a good sound...?

Shoot the band.....................I"M KIDDING!! :D I couldn't resist, sorry.
Seriously, how does it sound without the pedal? Try using a DI. Maybe some loose wiring in your cab? We need more info, bro.

If you're just using a soundcard, you'd be better off taking your guitar into the Line In jack and applying effects later on. Go download Kristal from kreatives.org and look up Camel Crusher. Use any of the presets on there. Also, if you're doing this that way, I'm assuming you're solo. Go look up and download Hammerhead or leafdrums for a drum machine. There are samples that come with them, or you can get something from naturalstudio.co.uk or even download ones I made from here.
Give us more info and we can help you more.

Bands I know that record Death Metal use real amps and cabs. Not cheap pedals.

Suffocation uses Peavey Triple XXX Heads.

Decapitated has used Peavey 5150's, XXX's, Randall Warhead.

Behemoth has used Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifiers, Sansamp Tech 21 Preamps.

Deicide uses Marshall JCM 800's.

Severed Saviour uses ENGL 580 Preamps, VHT Poweramps.

Cannibal Corpse uses Mesa Triple Recs.

Notice there is nothing cheap there and all are very good and fairly commonly used amps.

You just need to invest in your gear.

the JCM800 is one of my all time favorite amps :)

death metal, death metal.. hmmm..

i think it might be best to kill the band first? that's true death right there. record yourself killing them with blunt kitchen utensils or somethin, that's hardcore right there..

I think the best tip I have ever heard about recording death metal is: Don't.

psycho666 said:
i cant get a decent sound from anything when i record my guitar with a digi tech death metal pedal, without spending to much money can i get some tips?

I think you're focusing too much on the metal, and not enough on the death part.

ok, here's an actual one.

watch the bottom end, with superfast picking the low end can go to hell really fast, better to be a little thin and clean then have a complete lack of definition in the low end.

watch doubleing, be super frikin pickey about the quality of doubleing, (again, esp if it's fast) poor double tracking will only make things worse.
a lot worse.

giraffe said:
agreed, it kicks ass, but it really doesn't scream death metal.
maybe tweaked or something.

Yeah, but they're an older crew, y'know? Might not hold with all these young'ns using Mesa Boogie and Peavey and whatnot.

giraffe said:
seems the oddball, no?

Yeah it is the odd ball, but if you heard the guy from Deicide play his leads he is a great shredder.......

Sounds very 80's. Hence the JCM 800.

I don't listen to Deicide or nothing, but I saw their video on Headbangers Ball and saw his Marshall head and it sounded great.

Hey on the subject of the 800 being an odd ball think slayer or black label society
hell guitar world voted the jcm800 the most metal amp ever!!!
cant beat a les paul and marshall
hell i loved the amp so much i bought it!
(but saying that i'm listening to jack johnson at the moment- cant get less metal than that, better go put on some pantera for this thread!!)

on recording direct in to your sound card mabe just use garageband and go line in and use their built in amps, i actually think there better then amplitube but they dont work with PT so....
after recording you can then tweak them if you dont like them later! and not too sure but you could probably re-amp them if you ever had the chance later in life to re-do your recordings with minimal tracking efforts

but as for recording distorted guitars im gonna do what everyone does and post the greatest link ever for this kinda thing!!!
http://www.badmuckingfastard.com/sound/slipperman.html

Good luck
-Josh

My neighbor's got a JCM800. He hates it. He's a Classic 50 guy -- got one of those (that I sold to him) and a Classic 30. I play through a Jazz Chorus. Heh.

zacanger said:
My neighbor's got a JCM800. He hates it. He's a Classic 50 guy -- got one of those (that I sold to him) and a Classic 30. I play through a Jazz Chorus. Heh.

did he get it second hand? the sound can go to shit if its not biased properly so if someone just jammed new tubes in and havent been changed it can effect the sound BIG time

Back