tape speed

pepecon

Being a homeshop machilnist , I machined a larger motor pulley to make my teac reel to reel tape recorder run at 15 IPS. It sounds pretty good , but what kind of test equipment do I need to test the tape speed.accurately??
Conrad

Short of a marker, a stopwatch and a ruler, I'm not sure :)

... but unless you're going to use the tapes with a different machine, it really wouldn't matter if it's EXACLY 15ips, would it? As long as record and play are consistent, you should be home free.

...good idea, by the way.

Record a steady signal. For instance an A note, on a machine that you know runs at 15ips.
Then put that tape on your system, play it through your speakers and adjust your speed until a guitar tuner tells you, you are in tune to A.
This should do as a gauge, Hope it works
All the best

I guess you would need to if you're going to use the tapes with a different machine.

In either case, I'd think that close's suggestion is a pretty good idea. You could run the output into a tuner and get very precise with it - sure beats the marker & a ruler trick :)

If you're just interested in knowing the exact speed (I'd be astonished if you "guessed" the pulley size and hit 15ips exactly), you could probably do the math and figure it out.

You may want to adjust your freq. settings. A change in tape speed can change the freq. response of the tape.

Back