Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Recording acoustic guitar ( new mic)

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Similar situation . Less robust playing style on a om type guitar which inherently have less projection. I'm trying close miking the instrument now . I think that may be the answer. Closer to fretboard and the body of guitar angled away picking up less directly so it's not too bassy . But how close Is too close I wonder? I experimented last night with the large diaphragm mic maybe 6 inches off the fretboard . I played it back at full volume and it didn't seem to distort . Can't say i really noticed any clipping either while doing the test ....Experts ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maxman65 View Post
    Similar situation . Less robust playing style on a om type guitar which inherently have less projection. I'm trying close miking the instrument now . I think that may be the answer. Closer to fretboard and the body of guitar angled away picking up less directly so it's not too bassy . But how close Is too close I wonder? I experimented last night with the large diaphragm mic maybe 6 inches off the fretboard . I played it back at full volume and it didn't seem to distort . Can't say i really noticed any clipping either while doing the test ....Experts ?
    Post a sample. All we can do is guess if you don’t.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    If you keep it away from the soundhole blasts I wouldn't worry about it. I have had LDC's as close as about 4-5 inches from the neck and maybe 6 from the body. I use a pop filter if I have the mic at the level of the sound hole if I am unsure. I doubt the db is going to be ever loud enough to cause issues.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    All good . Think I've got a fair grasp of the basic concepts . If I can figure out getting a sample into the phone I will . My challenge Is to get a single guitar track the best i can from that mic . Learnt a lot here about mic proximity in particular . Pop filter near sound hole was a new one to me also, though I'll likely be away from it's direct impact . Many thanks

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    ". If I can figure out getting a sample into the phone I will" Er..How is this a problem? I have a "dumb" ***** 201 and if I want music on it I just connect a USB cable from my lappy and dump into the on board micro SD card.

I guess I could also take out the card and copy to that from the laptop.

Dave.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information