preamp

Recordepreneur

I am looking to get a behringer B1large condenser mic for my vocals instead of my sm57. is this wise?

and i hear all the talk about mic preamps.. do i need one? I have a yamaha mg16/4 mixer.. is that considered a mic preamp? if not.. what are the advantages of a pre-amp? thanks!

-jay

Buy a tube preamp. The new ART TPS (2 channels) is awsome and has a built in (optional) limiter. And it is not that expensive. I've seen the old model (same as new minus some LEDs and a few other features) on ebay for less than $80. I don't care what anyone says, digital recording need tube warmth or they sound dead. It definitely worth it.

Yo NEUR of Recording:}

If you want to peruse and rationcinate over some mic preamps, get a copy of TAPEOP. They usually have a dozen or more advertised and evaluatations of some.

The magazine is FREE and contains some nice articles and information. I do believe you can reach them on the net to sign up.

Green Hornet:p :D :cool:

Morningloryseed said:
Buy a tube preamp. The new ART TPS (2 channels) is awsome . .... I don't care what anyone says, digital recording need tube warmth or they sound dead. It definitely worth it.
You might want to lay off the morning glory seeds for a few days and then have another listen (though judging from your grammatical abilities it may already be too late). :)

Recordpreneur-
You'd be better off getting an SPB1 or MXLV67 for the same or cheaper price. I have all three, and for vocal (on my voice) definitely prefer the V67. I like the Oktava MK319 even better, especially if you can pick one up at Guitar Center for $50.

Morningloryseed said:
I don't care what anyone says, digital recording need tube warmth or they sound dead. It definitely worth it.
You'll get more mileage out of a space heater.:rolleyes:

Back