PR40 Sounds Worse than Yeti

Mushu

I'm having trouble getting decent sound from my Heil PR40. I've ran it through the Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer through a UCA202 interface. I've also tried into my laptop, which sounded similar. Both had this "speaking between a wall" sound. The Yeti sounded better because it seems to have a nice balance of bass and treble. The PR40 sounded like a cheap headset.

Recently I tried the Blue Icicle and it did improve the sound a bit, but it's noticeably worse than the Yeti. To get good sound from the PR40, must I use a compressor or a tube? I'm sure that my PR40 can do better than it is now. Are all of my preamps just garbage or am I just doing something wrong?

Just double check how you are using. I've done a quick google on it, and it seems to me that the Pro40 is a front-address mike, while the Yeti appears to be a side-adress mike. In other words, you speak into the 'end' of the Pro40, and into the side of the Yeti.

I've been speaking in to the microphone properly since I got the PR40, what else could be the problem? :(

Your mic isn't going to shine through your xenyx, but it certainly shouldn't sound terrible.

Are you using xlr-xlr cable, and do you have the eq set to 0 (pointing straight up/12 oclock) ?

You probably need a lot more gain. A decent pre really brings out the best of the PR40. I loved mine!

Back