Partitions...new word to me !?!?!?

TASCAM MAN

Im new to anything to do with hard disk recording and the Tascam DP-02 is my very first multitrack digital recorder. The part that seems so complicated(havent attempted yet) is exporting files via partitions and FAT and all this is so "greek" to me.I read in the manuel several times about it but....could some of my friends here explain partitions as general as possible to me? and if you have/had a Tascam DP-02(hard drive version) how partitons and FAT partitions are done and how to export WAV files safely without wiping out for good all of my work.......thanks:)

Partitions are basically just a way of turning one physical drive into split "virtual" drives, has no effect on exporting anything.

There are exceptions, but generally partitioning a drive will format it. Ie. You'll lose all data.

FAT is a file system.

Windows based computers natively recognise FAT, FAT32 and NTFS. I believe NTFS is still the current recommended file system.

OSX natively recognises FAT, and possibly FAT32.

Ordinarily, changing the file system requires a repartition which, again, means you lose all data.

What OS are you using, and what error message are you getting?
It sounds like maybe your computer doesn't like the current file system and is telling you to change it?

There are exceptions, but generally partitioning a drive will format it. Ie. You'll lose all data.

FAT is a file system.

Windows based computers natively recognise FAT, FAT32 and NTFS. I believe NTFS is still the current recommended file system.

OSX natively recognises FAT, and possibly FAT32.

Ordinarily, changing the file system requires a repartition which, again, means you lose all data.

What OS are you using, and what error message are you getting?
It sounds like maybe your computer doesn't like the current file system and is telling you to change it?

See the thing I am saying is,I havent tried to export any of the files from the Tascam DP-02 yet because i want to have a better understanding of what Im doing so I want accidently wipe out all of my recordings thats on the hard drive in the DP-02......:o

A partition is like the walls in a house. Think of your drive as your entire house and with every partition is every room. Within the partition you can have the drive react differently so the drive is performing less or more the way you need. Many times people will have a 2 partition drive, both will be on the desktop and one will be labeled audio and the other for the rest of the computers typical programs, with only audio related files within the audio partition. Hope this explains the partition part better.

See the thing I am saying is,I havent tried to export any of the files from the Tascam DP-02 yet because i want to have a better understanding of what Im doing so I want accidently wipe out all of my recordings thats on the hard drive in the DP-02......:o

Ok, so you don't currently have a problem or fault. Cool.

The default FIle system is FAT. That's what it should be if you haven't changed anything.
My advice is to leave it like that; It's universally recognised.

As far as I can see, plugging the unit in over USB should enable your computer to mount the drive (it'll show up in my computer, or desktop, depending on OS).

You can then drag and drop files from the machine to the computer.

Ok, so you don't currently have a problem or fault. Cool.

The default FIle system is FAT. That's what it should be if you haven't changed anything.
My advice is to leave it like that; It's universally recognised.

As far as I can see, plugging the unit in over USB should enable your computer to mount the drive (it'll show up in my computer, or desktop, depending on OS).

You can then drag and drop files from the machine to the computer.

Ok that sounds logical for sure:)So then after the files are exported,does that automatically wipe out the hard drive that I am exporting from? Are does it leave it on it until I clear it are erase it all? See Im really green at this...:facepalm:

It depends, but you'll be able to see.

It's just raw waves files you're dealing with right?
Really, it should be exactly the same as taking files of a USB hard drive, as far as I know.

A partition is like the walls in a house. Think of your drive as your entire house and with every partition is every room. Within the partition you can have the drive react differently so the drive is performing less or more the way you need. Many times people will have a 2 partition drive, both will be on the desktop and one will be labeled audio and the other for the rest of the computers typical programs, with only audio related files within the audio partition. Hope this explains the partition part better.

That is helpful and I appreciate the analogy !!:)

Back