Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Need Help With Recording Several Mics Simultaneously!

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,636
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 270 Times in 249 Posts
    Rep Power
    7968219
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Drumz View Post
    So after digging around the internet for a bit, I found two audio interfaces I would be willing to spend some money on:

    Either a NEW Behringer U-phoria UMC 1820 18x20 channel USB audio interface with 8 microphone inputs and 1 ADAT (200$)

    or

    since Chili mentioned Tascam:

    A USED (but still good condition) Tascam US 1800 16x4 channel USB audio interface with 8 microphone inputs but NO ADAT (140$)

    On paper the Behringer seems quite a bit better, but so many people seem to despise the quality of their products...


    So what do you guys think?
    I would not recommend the Tascam US-1800. That is an old generation of interface, and driver support is going to be a problem. Those drivers haven't been updated since 2016, and you could always be one Windows update away from having a boat anchor instead of an interface.

    If you're set on Tascam as a brand, look into their more recent offerings like the US-16x08.

    I think the U-Phoria series from Behringer is terrific for the money. They're certainly not perfect, but they do offer everything you need to make some very good sounding tracks. Those Midas-designed preamps are no joke. They may be cheap, but they're solid. And their Windows drivers do, in fact, support Windows 10 all the way back to Vista.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tadpui For This Useful Post:


  3. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    14,342
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 592 Times in 540 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474863
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpui View Post
    I would not recommend the Tascam US-1800. That is an old generation of interface, and driver support is going to be a problem. Those drivers haven't been updated since 2016, and you could always be one Windows update away from having a boat anchor instead of an interface.
    I disagree. Up until last week, I had the Tascam US-800, which is even older, and the drivers worked fine in Win10. (I sold the unit to a new member here on the forums.) I installed the drivers using Win7 compatibility mode. No problem with the drivers.

    I agree with the advice to go with something newer if you can.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post:


  5. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    7,688
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 465 Times in 430 Posts
    Rep Power
    14818761
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpui View Post
    I would not recommend the Tascam US-1800. That is an old generation of interface, and driver support is going to be a problem. Those drivers haven't been updated since 2016, and you could always be one Windows update away from having a boat anchor instead of an interface.

    If you're set on Tascam as a brand, look into their more recent offerings like the US-16x08.

    I think the U-Phoria series from Behringer is terrific for the money. They're certainly not perfect, but they do offer everything you need to make some very good sounding tracks. Those Midas-designed preamps are no joke. They may be cheap, but they're solid. And their Windows drivers do, in fact, support Windows 10 all the way back to Vista.
    If that's the one where the input monitor mix is set by the gain controls, I wouldn't recommend it. More input monitor mix flexibility would be preferable.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to bouldersoundguy For This Useful Post:


  7. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Ok thanks for the advice everyone. I'll probably get the Behringer then!

  8. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    HOUSTON, TEXAS
    Posts
    799
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 136 Times in 121 Posts
    Rep Power
    742369
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    I disagree. Up until last week, I had the Tascam US-800, which is even older, and the drivers worked fine in Win10. (I sold the unit to a new member here on the forums.) I installed the drivers using Win7 compatibility mode. No problem with the drivers.

    I agree with the advice to go with something newer if you can.
    Got to agree wit' Chili an this one, Tascam drivers just work. The fact they didn't just appear on the recording scene is also note worthy. That said, Behringer makes perfectly usable products, though some don't like abuse that a more expensive brand might tolerate.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gtoboy For This Useful Post:


  10. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Derby City
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    I can't comment on the Behringer, but I can say that the Tascam is a very workable interface. Current price for the 16x08 is similar to the 1820. I don't use the 8 channels 90+% of the time, but when you need them, its great to have them at the ready.

    For me, having the microphone inputs on the front panel is a plus. If you are going to have it in a rack, it simplifies things.

  11. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Posts
    9,741
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 648 Times in 612 Posts
    Rep Power
    9256934
    I would got for the Tascam. The 1800 does have W10 drivers and I would trust Tascam to keep up with Msoft better than Behringer (been burned years ago)
    I agree ADAT is a bit of a diversion. In addition to 8 mic pres the 1800 has 6 line inputs so a small mixer could be bought in the future should two or more mic channels be needed.

    I am also wary of the very low line drive level of the Berry AIs, around +3dBu max. No one has reported a problem afaik so fAr but it will happen I am sure. There is cutting costs but to skiimp on ONE surface mount $0.1 IC is taking things too far IMHO!

    Dave.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:


  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ranelagh Tasmania
    Age
    68
    Posts
    7,714
    Thanks
    195
    Thanked 581 Times in 471 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474857
    Quote Originally Posted by TalismanRich View Post
    For me, having the microphone inputs on the front panel is a plus. If you are going to have it in a rack, it simplifies things.
    Absolutely agree. Having mike combo inputs on the back is poor design. Having to scrabble around at the back of a rack to swap things round is not good.

    There are a couple of features of an interface that for me are important.

    1 inputs on the front.

    2 physical input/playback balance knob on the front

    3 inserts on at least a couple of input tracks.

    4 in addition to line-outs for each channel, a volume-controlled main output for monitors, and a non-volume controlled output for headphone amps or similar.

    These are the features that my Firepod has. I've been looking around for a replacement, but can't finding anything that has all these features. Not even the newer Presonus interfaces.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to gecko zzed For This Useful Post:


  15. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    I would got for the Tascam. The 1800 does have W10 drivers and I would trust Tascam to keep up with Msoft better than Behringer (been burned years ago)
    I agree ADAT is a bit of a diversion. In addition to 8 mic pres the 1800 has 6 line inputs so a small mixer could be bought in the future should two or more mic channels be needed.

    I am also wary of the very low line drive level of the Berry AIs, around +3dBu max. No one has reported a problem afaik so fAr but it will happen I am sure. There is cutting costs but to skiimp on ONE surface mount $0.1 IC is taking things too far IMHO!

    Dave.
    Well the thing is, I'm a mac user and I don't know how compatible the 1800 is with OS X?

  16. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    14,342
    Thanks
    58
    Thanked 592 Times in 540 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474863
    I do not know anything about Mac, but here are drivers so you can decide.

    US-1800 | DOWNLOADS | TASCAM - United States

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post:


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. metallic Buzz when two UWP-V1/62 mics used simultaneously
    By mountainstream in forum Microphones
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 00:03
  2. Recording with 3 mics simultaneously
    By 6 String Dream in forum Newbies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 12:44
  3. Recording Mics Simultaneously on Seperate Tracks
    By kickupsomedust in forum The Rack
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 11:50
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-28-2004, 19:20
  5. Recording with two mics simultaneously
    By Ricklh in forum Fostex Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 13:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •