Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Need Help With Recording Several Mics Simultaneously!

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Drumz View Post
    So after digging around the internet for a bit, I found two audio interfaces I would be willing to spend some money on:

Either a NEW Behringer U-phoria UMC 1820 18x20 channel USB audio interface with 8 microphone inputs and 1 ADAT (200$)

or

since Chili mentioned Tascam:

A USED (but still good condition) Tascam US 1800 16x4 channel USB audio interface with 8 microphone inputs but NO ADAT (140$)

On paper the Behringer seems quite a bit better, but so many people seem to despise the quality of their products...

So what do you guys think?
    I would not recommend the Tascam US-1800. That is an old generation of interface, and driver support is going to be a problem. Those drivers haven't been updated since 2016, and you could always be one Windows update away from having a boat anchor instead of an interface.

If you're set on Tascam as a brand, look into their more recent offerings like the US-16x08.

I think the U-Phoria series from Behringer is terrific for the money. They're certainly not perfect, but they do offer everything you need to make some very good sounding tracks. Those Midas-designed preamps are no joke. They may be cheap, but they're solid. And their Windows drivers do, in fact, support Windows 10 all the way back to Vista.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tadpui For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpui View Post
    I would not recommend the Tascam US-1800. That is an old generation of interface, and driver support is going to be a problem. Those drivers haven't been updated since 2016, and you could always be one Windows update away from having a boat anchor instead of an interface.
    I disagree. Up until last week, I had the Tascam US-800, which is even older, and the drivers worked fine in Win10. (I sold the unit to a new member here on the forums.) I installed the drivers using Win7 compatibility mode. No problem with the drivers.

I agree with the advice to go with something newer if you can.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpui View Post

If you're set on Tascam as a brand, look into their more recent offerings like the US-16x08.

I think the U-Phoria series from Behringer is terrific for the money. They're certainly not perfect, but they do offer everything you need to make some very good sounding tracks. Those Midas-designed preamps are no joke. They may be cheap, but they're solid. And their Windows drivers do, in fact, support Windows 10 all the way back to Vista.
    If that's the one where the input monitor mix is set by the gain controls, I wouldn't recommend it. More input monitor mix flexibility would be preferable.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bouldersoundguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok thanks for the advice everyone. I'll probably get the Behringer then!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    I disagree. Up until last week, I had the Tascam US-800, which is even older, and the drivers worked fine in Win10. (I sold the unit to a new member here on the forums.) I installed the drivers using Win7 compatibility mode. No problem with the drivers.

I agree with the advice to go with something newer if you can.
    Got to agree wit' Chili an this one, Tascam drivers just work. The fact they didn't just appear on the recording scene is also note worthy. That said, Behringer makes perfectly usable products, though some don't like abuse that a more expensive brand might tolerate.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gtoboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I can't comment on the Behringer, but I can say that the Tascam is a very workable interface. Current price for the 16x08 is similar to the 1820. I don't use the 8 channels 90+% of the time, but when you need them, its great to have them at the ready.

For me, having the microphone inputs on the front panel is a plus. If you are going to have it in a rack, it simplifies things.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    I would got for the Tascam. The 1800 does have W10 drivers and I would trust Tascam to keep up with Msoft better than Behringer (been burned years ago)
    I agree ADAT is a bit of a diversion. In addition to 8 mic pres the 1800 has 6 line inputs so a small mixer could be bought in the future should two or more mic channels be needed.

I am also wary of the very low line drive level of the Berry AIs, around +3dBu max. No one has reported a problem afaik so fAr but it will happen I am sure. There is cutting costs but to skiimp on ONE surface mount $0.1 IC is taking things too far IMHO!

Dave.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TalismanRich View Post
    For me, having the microphone inputs on the front panel is a plus. If you are going to have it in a rack, it simplifies things.
    Absolutely agree. Having mike combo inputs on the back is poor design. Having to scrabble around at the back of a rack to swap things round is not good.

There are a couple of features of an interface that for me are important.

1 inputs on the front.

2 physical input/playback balance knob on the front

3 inserts on at least a couple of input tracks.

4 in addition to line-outs for each channel, a volume-controlled main output for monitors, and a non-volume controlled output for headphone amps or similar.

These are the features that my Firepod has. I've been looking around for a replacement, but can't finding anything that has all these features. Not even the newer Presonus interfaces.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gecko zzed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    I would got for the Tascam. The 1800 does have W10 drivers and I would trust Tascam to keep up with Msoft better than Behringer (been burned years ago)
    I agree ADAT is a bit of a diversion. In addition to 8 mic pres the 1800 has 6 line inputs so a small mixer could be bought in the future should two or more mic channels be needed.

I am also wary of the very low line drive level of the Berry AIs, around +3dBu max. No one has reported a problem afaik so fAr but it will happen I am sure. There is cutting costs but to skiimp on ONE surface mount $0.1 IC is taking things too far IMHO!

Dave.
    Well the thing is, I'm a mac user and I don't know how compatible the 1800 is with OS X?

Thanks
    I do not know anything about Mac, but here are drivers so you can decide.

US-1800 | DOWNLOADS | TASCAM - United States

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post:

Thread Information