Mystery of the Transient Tracks

Rockenheimer

Hi.

I have a Mackie 1604 and a Tascam 8 track. I record a click track on track 2, everything's fine. I record drums on track 3, everything's fine. I record guitar on track 4, everything's fine. I go to record a second guitar track on track 5, the other guitar track I just did seems to have bled all over it. I don't play a note and the VU meter's popping all over the red. So I can't be bothered, I'm a busy boy, I go to record that second guitar track on track 1, now the click track's all over THAT one.

Annoyed. Help.

Thank you.

It's called "crosstalk" and is probably caused by a shitty ground plane in your studio or a shitty ground within the desk.

Another type of crosstalk could be that your 8 track(I assume reel to reel) has a narrow width (1/4inch) and your causing crosstalk on the tape by putting too much signal on it i.e. overloading the tape. The only way around that is painfully erasing the contaminated tracks after you record assuming you left the adjacent tracks empty before hand.

SoMm

If you're talking masive amounts of bleed that would seem to go beyond crosstalk. How about track/mixer routing? I was thinking maybe you have things double-bussed? Buss 1--4 feeding 1--4 and 5--8?
Just a guess.

My 2¢...

is that you're probably using the main mix and buss section to route all your incoming and outgoing signals, being both live tracks and cue tracks, when you should be using a proper cue system, that effectively isolates your cue tracks from your live tracks.

Not being intimately familiar with the Mackie mixer you're using, that's my best assessment. Crossing signals in the main mix/buss section of the mixer.

A proper Tascam recording mixer would provide a proper Cue section, to help avoid this problem. The Mackie mixers I've seen up close were more live-sound mixers, with no cue section, per se.

Back