Mixing Stereo Mics to a Mono channel

walters

When recording a Band live with 2 stereo mics how do u mix it down to a mono track with it sounding stereo ?

Would taking a Stereo signal and mixing it down to one give u alot of phasing canceling?

Whats the best way to take stereo signals and superimpose them onto One track or a mono channel please?

walters said:

When recording a Band live with 2 stereo mics how do u mix it down to a mono track with it sounding stereo ?

Would taking a Stereo signal and mixing it down to one give u alot of phasing canceling?

Whats the best way to take stereo signals and superimpose them onto One track or a mono channel please?

Not sure what you mean by mixing it down to a mono track but keeping it sounding stereo. If it's a mono track, then it's mono.

Are you talking about preserving the soundstage on a mono track?

The XY configuration folds down to mono the best out of any of the stereo mic techniques. So if you do it that way, you should be fine.

Just curious why you want to do this?

Just want to add that a couple times I've folded
down XY stereo to money for recordings of
instruments, and have found that the
recordings sounded much better in stereo.

i only have 1 track that is mono but needs a stereo mics like 8 or 10 mics mixed down to mono because i have only 1 track

The 8 to 10 mics are chorusing and phasing how do i get them to STOP because its mono ?

I'm trying ot record a live performance of my music but i only have 2 tracks portable recorder so track#1 is vocals and track#2 is the whole band in MONO

mixing it down to a mono track but keeping it sounding stereo

The is Converts like mono to stereo or pseudo stereo i mean

so how do i convert stereo to pseudo stereo NOT mono? thats the real qustion

Because pseudo stereo is mono but sounds like stereo u know what i mean??

how do i do pseudo-stereo miking?

I guess i record the track#2 of the band in mono with using stereo micing or pseudo stereo miking and then take the WAV. file and convert it to pseudo stereo wave file using a software program so my band will sound in stereo but i recorded in mono

its the software program that converted a mono signal to pseudo stereo

Are you sure you haven't been imagining all of this, and you're really just sitting at your desk, and it turns you've never recorded a band before at all?

RAK and Jimmy,

You guys are both kinda new to this forum (and both excellent additions to it, if I may say so. :) ) You might not yet be "on to" walters.

I suggest you guys head to his user page and do a search on threads he has started. He is a troll/clown that makes up nonsense questions based upon high-tech buzzwords in an attempt to infuriate those who don't know his M.O. He had been doing this on this and other website forums for quite a while now.

The only reason any of us who are familiar with his work bother to respond to him any more is for pure comic relief, nothing more :cool: .

G.

Reactions: RAK
SouthSIDE Glen said:
RAK and Jimmy,

You guys are both kinda new to this forum (and both excellent additions to it, if I may say so. :) ) You might not yet be "on to" walters.

I suggest you guys head to his user page and do a search on threads he has started. He is a troll/clown that makes up nonsense questions based upon high-tech buzzwords in an attempt to infuriate those who don't know his M.O. He had been doing this on this and other website forums for quite a while now.

The only reason any of us who are familiar with his work bother to respond to him any more is for pure comic relief, nothing more :cool: .

G.

Southside, we are "'on to' walters" as you say. That's why I posted that repsonse. It was a joke, you know, for comic relief. Ever seen Zoolander?

One of the things I find interesting about the Walters threads I've seen is... I've noticed that in the general business world many of us in the music and recording arts are pretty much viewed the way most here look down at Walters. You know, the "what the hell are you talking about? Step into the real world, bud." kind of response.

If Walters is really an experienced engineer who does these threads as a hobby, he must really get a kick out of the wolf pack kind of response they generate. Whatever.... his threads are always an interesting read. :cool:

You just keep doing your thing Walters, whatever that thing is :eek:

Your question's got to have something to do with the phasiness in mixing all those stage mic's to a single channel. Look up the 3:1 rule as it applies to combining mic's on different instruments to a single channel.

Is this a test?

Tim

SouthSIDE Glen said:
RAK and Jimmy,

G.

I was tipped off to the Walters issue yesterday as well. My comment about seconding RAK's comparision to Zoolander was to let Walters know we are on to him. Whatever it is he is doing.

Southside - Thanks for welcoming us to the board. We enjoy spending hours of company time chatting with you guys.

I bet if we keep talking about Walters, that only makes him stronger. Kind of like the Simpsons "Attack of the 50 foot eye sores."

He's watching us as I type this....eery.

Your question's got to have something to do with the phasiness in mixing all those stage mic's to a single channel. Look up the 3:1 rule as it applies to combining mic's on different instruments to a single channel.

Yes because phil spector use to mix alot of mics like 10 or more in a small room done to MONO so there is alot of phasing and chorusing going on because of 10:1 we are divided down to one channel so u get alot of phasing and chorusing from the time delays of distances of mics and phasing from the frequencys mixing together i do use MATCHEd stereo mics to try to help this problem what else can i do please?

I'm going to record on track#2 my whole band in mono and then take that mono wav.file and turn it into a pseudo stereo with a software plug in or something because i only have 2 track for my portable recorder and my vocals need to be on TRACK#1 so if i mess up i can overdubb them later on
keeps it isolated.

Making the mono track of my band live into pseudo stereo is going to make it sound like a "3 track" because i will have my vocals on track#1 and track#2 will be pseudo stereo making it a "3 track" simulation

When u mix alot of mics like 10 down to MONO its different than mixing 10 mics down to stereo its a ratio difference

10:1 mixdown to mono VS 10:1 mixdown to stereo ?

We have more phasing and chorusing (time delay arrivals into mics) in mono because we are taking 10mics mixing them down to ONE channel VS TWO channels why is that?

Is this a test? i hope it makes u think

walters said:

Yes because phil spector use to mix alot of mics like 10 or more in a small room done to MONO so there is alot of phasing and chorusing going on because of 10:1 we are divided down to one channel so u get alot of phasing and chorusing from the time delays of distances of mics and phasing from the frequencys mixing together i do use MATCHEd stereo mics to try to help this problem what else can i do please?

I'm going to record on track#2 my whole band in mono and then take that mono wav.file and turn it into a pseudo stereo with a software plug in or something because i only have 2 track for my portable recorder and my vocals need to be on TRACK#1 so if i mess up i can overdubb them later on
keeps it isolated.

Making the mono track of my band live into pseudo stereo is going to make it sound like a "3 track" because i will have my vocals on track#1 and track#2 will be pseudo stereo making it a "3 track" simulation

When u mix alot of mics like 10 down to MONO its different than mixing 10 mics down to stereo its a ratio difference

10:1 mixdown to mono VS 10:1 mixdown to stereo ?

We have more phasing and chorusing (time delay arrivals into mics) in mono because we are taking 10mics mixing them down to ONE channel VS TWO channels why is that?

Is this a test? i hope it makes u think

Yeah, but he's crazy anyway.

Walters=master of the run-on sentence.

Where are the recordings? We must hear samples to be able to give you better advice. Also pictures would help so we can fully understand your setup.

Back