Mixing OTB Routing

markalexander

Hi All, My 1st.post here, hope its in the right section.

Ive decided to mix outside the box.
Basically i'm after some assistance on the best way to route cables from Analogue mixer (studiomaster 16/8bus), to my firewire interface (M-audio profire 2626).
Im using Sonar x1 if that makes any difference.
Thanks in advance:cool:

Well....there's not too many options. From what I understand, the M-audio Profire 2626 has only 8 channels of D/A output...so take the 8 channels form the 2626 and route each to a channel on your Studiomaster.
If you have more than 8 tracks in your DAW, you will have to sub-mix down to 8 tracks before outputting to the Studiomaster.

I do OTB mixing and have three 8-channel boxes, so that lets me do 24 D/A channels into my analog mixer, but sometimes I have more than 24 tracks in the DAW, so I submix what I can until I get it down to 24....though it's rare, as I usually stay within the 24 track limit with most mixes.

Thanks Miroslav!,,,,,,,3 8 channel boxes! must be rather costly!....anyway, i can manage the bulk of most of my songs within 8 tracks, so no problem to sub mix down.
So, id go for example, 1:Line in from mixer, to 1: in on profire? What about the output to profire? Where do i route them from? Obviously they go in Profire Ins. but from mixer?......direct outs? Send returns?
Thanks for your help:P

You're actually taking the Line Out from the Profire and going to the Line In on the mixer...one for each of the 8 channels.
You always view it by the direction of the signal path.

You then want to take the stereo mix output from the Studiomaster and route it to two of the Line Inputs of the Profire, and then record that as a stereo track in Sonar. That is your stereo mix.

If you have more than 8 tracks in your DAW...set up groups/subs. Like say you have 8 tracks of drums...you can group/sub them out to a stereo pair, and then just bring that out as two D/A channels over to your Studiomaster.
You decide which tracks you want/need to group/sub and which ones you want to have as individual tracks...all within the limits of your 8 total D/A channels. It doesn't have the be the same for everything...you would set that on a per-song basis.

So...as you are playing back from the DAW out to the mixer....you are also recording a stereo track of your final mix form the Studiomaster.

Get it?

Doh!..sorry i meant to type OUT!.....So Stereo mix out into Profire....Think i get it.....will try connecting these tonight and let you know how i get on!.......Thanks so much for your help tho:thumbs up:

Ok, connected these up, everything seems fine, and can mix on desk thru Sonar. Had to adjust software settings in M-Audio drivers to route signal.
Have a Question tho.....ive got 8 channels left on desk, so if i wanted to record a guitar part for example.....would it be best to go in thru mixer, or direct into my profire?

That's up to to you.

If you feel that the mixer has something good to add by running the signal trhough it...then go through it...otherwise no need to.

I don't rememebr the l ast time I tracked through my mixers (usually just from the preamps to the tape deck or to the DAW)...but I mix through the mixer.

Thanks for guiding me in the right direction Miroslav.....Much appreciated......pretty much sorted out now, done a trial of a stereo mix down, and got all the sounds fro mthe mixer which was cool, only thing i need to concentrate on now is software routing thru the DAW, which is looking a bit of a pain, but hopefully will be fine once im more accustomed to it!....Asio drivers only giving me Odd number outs, 1-3-5 etc:(

Nice to see I'm not the only one doing this sort of thing! I only have 8 good outputs, but typically have 24 track sessions. Ended up using buss groups in my DAW, and mixing those on my board.

Back