Microphone Recording

Need more info... Rock or pop? Rap or Hip hop? Roomy or sparse? Distorted or Clean? Sorry man but your not gonna get any help unless you're more specific... I would love to help you but I have no clue what you want.

-Barrett

I was wondering what the best way to go about recording vocals are.

Put a microphone in front of whoever is singing, connect it to whatever the recorder is, set a recording level and press "RECORD" on whatever the recorder is. Sing the song to the end, making sure it doesn't sound horrible and the singer hits all the notes and hey presto. Recorded vocals.

Rock vocals. Clean and distorted. I want to know what you should use to get the best quality recording at an affordable price.

Rock vocals. Clean and distorted. I want to know what you should use to get the best quality recording at an affordable price.
A microphone. A recording device. A voice. Maybe two.
Can you record vocals on MIDI

EDIT: I mean would it sound good or sound computeresque and fake.
It would sound remarkable !

I'm playing about of course ! :D
Reason being, you've been really vague and general so my answers have been likewise. My hope is that this will irritate you into bringing forth more details so that a conversation between a few people (virtually all of whom will be of more help than me) can take place and you can become more focused and be helped on your way.

Yes, a microphone Nugagerube - anything will do at this stage...

The Singstar range are particularly popular. Vocals sound warmer via a pink plastic microphone, everyone will tell you that...

So why don't you help yourself a bit, google MIDI (you have Google at your house don't you?) and that will answer your other question.

Sharpen your questions up or go to the Newbies forum - people here are very willing to help, that's why we hang out here, but if you can't spend more than 2 seconds thinking about your questions, then don't expect sensible replies...

ie.

What does "affordable" mean to you?
What other equipment do you have / have access to?

Stuff like that. If you don't want to play, then "SM58" is the answer to your question...

(GT - I can be irritating too.. :D)

Details; I am in a band with another fellow and we are looking into recording. We, or rather, I have fond ways to record both my piano and electric drums (MIDI) and I was wondering any possible way I could record vocals seeing as my friend isn't taking much initiative in the recording process. He wants to record vocals on a Zoom H2 Handy Recorder (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Zoom+-+H2+Handy+Recorder/8890293.p?id=1218008397808&skuId=8890293) but I don't think that will turn out good. here is a link of it's sound https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK94hGI1FZo&feature=related

It sounds good for jamming but for serious recording I don't know how it will turn out. Plus it seems like its only good for insturmentals as none of those bands have a person singing (you get a whole bunch of links if you listen to one song on youtube of people using the recorder like Lamb Of God). So I was wondering other possibilities into recording vocals, I was vague because I don't know much about recording anything. This will be my first time so I didn't know what to ask about.

As you are just starting out, you have a lot of basic study ahead of you; the question you are asking has no answer that can be given in a forum post. It's like asking, "How do I cook?" or "How do I play football?" Easy questions with answers that cannot just be answered overnight.

I suggest that you start out by hitting this page and clicking on the "Studio Reference Book Catalog" link there. This will pop up a catalog of available books on the subject of audio recording and production from Amazon.com. That catalog is broken down into nine selectable categories; select the first category, "Introductory/Getting Started" for a list of good reference books on getting started as a newb in home recording.

G.

As you are just starting out, you have a lot of basic study ahead of you; the question you are asking has no answer that can be given in a forum post. It's like asking, "How do I cook?" or "How do I play football?" Easy questions with answers that cannot just be answered overnight.

I suggest that you start out by hitting this page and clicking on the "Studio Reference Book Catalog" link there. This will pop up a catalog of available books on the subject of audio recording and production from Amazon.com. That catalog is broken down into nine selectable categories; select the first category, "Introductory/Getting Started" for a list of good reference books on getting started as a newb in home recording.

G.

Ok thank you glen

I was vague because I don't know much about recording anything. This will be my first time so I didn't know what to ask about.

Nuga - I hope I've not put you off at all. I understand how it can be a little daunting as a newcomer and if I was unwelcoming and made you feel worse, my apologies. That wasn't my intention at all.
I would say, be lush with the details !
And it's good to do some reading up because you'll be introduced to ideas and concepts that will move you to start seeking specific and focused answers.
There'll always be people here to help.

Nuga - I hope I've not put you off at all. I understand how it can be a little daunting as a newcomer and if I was unwelcoming and made you feel worse, my apologies. That wasn't my intention at all.
I would say, be lush with the details !
And it's good to do some reading up because you'll be introduced to ideas and concepts that will move you to start seeking specific and focused answers.
There'll always be people here to help.

It's okay, I enjoyed the sarcasism. But yeah, I'll do some more research.

Back