Just O.K

jamking

This is an O.K forum, I guess. Honestly, by seeing how many members there are, I thought things would be more..........insightfull.

Anyway, you do an O.K job, I guess. :confused:

I was hoping someone could shed some light on this. I've been using the line out of my guitar effects rack to record all guitar tracks but have noticed alot of digital noise. If I mic the amp, (beta58A is all I have), would this help the signal to noise ratio?

jamking said:
This is an O.K forum, I guess. Honestly, by seeing how many members there are, I thought things would be more..........insightfull.

Anyway, you do an O.K job, I guess. :confused:
Nice people skills there, king. Way to really endear yourself to getting the best answers you can. ;) :D

jamking said:
I was hoping someone could shed some light on this. I've been using the line out of my guitar effects rack to record all guitar tracks but have noticed alot of digital noise. If I mic the amp, (beta58A is all I have), would this help the signal to noise ratio?
You need to describe your signal chain a bit better. Recording into what? Is it a PC or an external recorder of some type? Are you going through a mixer first? If it's a PC, how are you getting into it? etc.

Unless you have a glitchy or noisy piece of gear or patch cable in your rack (I'd double check the cabling for quality), you should not have a particularly noisy situation recording direct from your rack. Which I why I'm asking about the rest of the signal chain.

In the meantime, I'll play the percentages and how they play out with those new to this forum and take a wild blind stab at a possible problem. Are you going into your PC via the standard PC soundcard? If so. make sure you're going into the line in and not the mic in, otherwise you'll be overdriving the card which can give you a whole bunch of "digital noise". That's also a common problem among newbs to the racket.

If it's not that simple then come back with better detail on your whole signal chain and gain staging so that it can be troubleshot. And use good cables. ;)

G.

Why not just try micing the cab and see? Also, are you sure it is digital noise and not just analog noise? Are you sitting too close to your monitor for your pickups? Fluorescent lights? Fridge, coffee pot or microwave referencing the same ground? There are so many things to start with, and thats before even bothering with trying different cables etc...

What effects do you have turned on? Some efx (flanger comes to mind) make a good deal of noise, could something like this be where your noise is comming from? If it's comming from your processor going to an amp will just move the noise to a different piece of gear, micing it might make it even more noticeable, mics "hear" things a little differently than our ears. I've had mics pick up amp noise that I had never noticed before.

jamking said:
Question for all you jackoffs out there......... Can someone do a Vulcan mind-meld on me and deduce my signal chain and solve my problem?

I anxiously await your lame misguided replies.

Hold your breath, help is on the way!

temporary suspension (i would)

noisedude said:
That's an alright question, I guess. Looking at your animated signature picture, I expected something more insightfull [sic]. Just ok. :confused:

This is just pure spam, are you a newbie? You gotta be more "insightful" ;)

Anyway, thanks to all of you for the legit advice.

....damn spammers......

jamking said:

....damn spammers......

I don't think what noisedude posted was spam. But what you posted might be considered trolling. :rolleyes:

.......damn trolls...........

jamking said:

....damn spammers......
Spam? Let's look at two quick criteria:

1. Marketing .......... The only thing I tried to sell you was a funny joke.

2. Unsolicited .......... Your initial post so solicited my response!

BTW - The problem with your question is that it didn't make sense. It didn't actually mean anything ..... which is ok, I guess. :confused:

c7sus said:
Hold your breath, help is on the way!
In a funny way, you just totally trumped me. Can I have a Vulcan mind-meld so I can learn how to do that biting, sarcastic thing so well? It seems like only you and Cressrock have the skilllllz to do it. :)

noisedude said:
In a funny way, you just totally trumped me. Can I have a Vulcan mind-meld so I can learn how to do that biting, sarcastic thing so well? It seems like only you and Cressrock have the skilllllz to do it. :)

I can introduce you to the ex-gash, ((X)).

Everything I know about biting and sarcasm I learned from her.

If I'm lying....... you know the rest. :D

Honestly, this might be my favorite thread I've ever read here. I guess :confused: I mean, considering that it's just OK.

Hil-f'ing-arious! Three cheers to Jamking! :confused: :confused: :confused:

andyhix said:
Honestly, this might be my favorite thread I've ever read here. I guess :confused: I mean, considering that it's just OK.

Hil-f'ing-arious! Three cheers to Jamking! :confused: :confused: :confused:
Maybe only one cheer? I mean, he's good, but only O.K. good, I guess. :confused:

Back