How to analyze my pitch while recording

haveri321

Hello,

I know that you can easily analyze you recorded vocals and check for pitch devations and correct it.
I would like to see my pitch while I'm singing, to see if I'm off key and how much. Just as a means of practicing my pitch, to sing better. Is there a way to do it?
Maybe even a specific plugin?
Doing it after you sing a phrase is too clumsy ):

Thanks in advance!
Omer

Thanks for the answer DM60

That's what I need, but is there some kind of software that does it?
That product is not cheap..

The pitch corrector in Cubase lets you see what you are doing, but it's very much a guide to if you are flat or sharp - a much cheaper option would be a guitar tuner with a mic - often used for acoustic guitars - some have a display that shows the note, plus how sharp or flat you are.
Personally, I'm not sure if a tuner will help, because you need to learn to hear your voice beating with the music - using your ears, not eyes. The tuner will show you the pitch is wrong, but to become accurate, you need to 'feel' it. If you can hear you've missed the note, you need to instantly know if you need to go up or down - so it's a skill worth trying to develop.

Watching a pitch meter while you are recording will just distract you and probably depress you. Concentrate on your singing then analyze it after it's recorded to figure out where you need to improve.

Download Reaper, use it as your DAW and use the included ReaTune plug in on the third tab to see how you've gone. As ido said above, don't try to do it in real time. Record it and then look afterwards....

Best advice I could give would be to do some ear training with a good vocal coach. Also, hitting notes well is partly physical so if you aren't doing warm up exercises and keeping your abdominal muscles in shape it will be much harder to hit what you hear, even with a trained ear.

Watching a pitch meter while you are recording will just distract you and probably depress you. Concentrate on your singing then analyze it after it's recorded to figure out where you need to improve.

I would agree.

You might get more mileage by playing the vocal lines on an instrument...a piano is perfect...and simply singing along with it and listening, and correcting....rather than trying to sing and watch some pitch meter, because you'll find yourself chasing the meter and it may prove more annoying than helpful.

YMMV....

Hey guys, thank you for your answers.

I think you're right, maybe it won't really help after all.
But I found something nice that helps you sing very accurately. I'm still not sure if it helps getting a better pitch but still..
It sounds funny, but if you use a plugin which raises your voice in an octave, when singing and listing to this funny sound, you hear very well any devations from the key. Maybe it helps me a lot because I have a low voice, but when this plugin is on, I can be pitch-prefect. The question is if I can be like that without using this trick.
Just wanted to share with you the idea:thumbs up:

Back