Help with recording distortion

sam crenshaw

Hey guys...I'm new to this forum, and I was wondering if anyone might have some input for me. I'm looking to get a decent sounding distortion on my recordings, and I have no idea how to go about this. I enjoy the distortion of deftones or chevelle, if anyone is familiar...if not, any chunky distortion or any tips will help. The equipment I have is; Larrivee and Ibanez guitars, Peavey studio pro amp with 1 12" woofer and clean/lead channels, Boss HM-3 pedal (I prefer the amp distortion, but am open to anything to try once), Behringer B-1 mic, Shure SM58 mic, Behringer Eurorack UB1204 FX-Pro powered mixer, Behringer Autocom Pro compressor, Sound Blaster Audigy sound card and Adobe Audition. I don't even know where to begin for this, so if anyone has any info they could give me, I would be very thankful.

Sam Crenshaw, Studio 19.

Heres a quick tip on an old idea:

The best recording starts all the way at the root. Which means the gear list mega bands have are probably the best thing out on the market at the time.

But it's not hard to achieve like results. You just need to have a little know how on what it takes to get what you want in your sound.

From my experience, I've always loved to work with Mesa Boogie, Line 6 and Marshall. Those are my favorite for the sounds they bring to any studio project.

My advice, the less you can do during recording the better. Setup a mic in front of your amp, run it straight into the computer and hit record.

Mesas, hands down, are the easiest to sound great on tape. I'd be willing to bet the deftones used it on their recordings... its very hard to get soild state amps to sound good... that balance between crunch and tonal definition doesnt come easy.

Back