Harsh High End When Recording Electric Guitar

andkaz7

Lately I've been recording electric guitar.
Signal Chain..
Gibson SG St.>Vox AC30 Blue Speakers>Shure SM57>Presonus MP20>Presonus Firebox>Apple Logic.

When I crank up the amp to get overdrive there is a really harsh high end ring. I was wondering if anyone had similar problem or is the problem with the converters/preamp (I tried moving the mic around but to no avail). EQ doesn't seem to fix the problem without taking out that signature high end sound Vox is famous for...
Any ideas?? Thanks.

EQ doesn't seem to fix the problem without taking out that signature high end sound Vox is famous for...
You may have answered your own question. The only thing that could be happening, other than the amp just sounding harsh, is if you are recording too hot and distorting the converters. If you play a power chord, the sustain should be somewhere around -18dbfs (or half way up the input meter)

Do not 'record as hot as possible without clipping' that is old outdated advice and the cause of a lot of problems.

Also try pulling the mic back, or moving it toward the edge of the speaker cone.

^^^ This. Mic placement on guitar cabs is HUGE!~ Angle the mic differently, get it away from the center, back it off, you can get a real dark tone.. Put it right in the center 1/2" off the cone, you can get the buzziest sound you ever heard.

Back