do you record an album in 1 file or 1 file per song

seismetr0n

just curious to see how you record

1. Record all the songs on the album to 1 file/tape - seems to lend itself to an overall album consistency

2. Record all the songs to individual files/tapes - seems to add more individuality per song

i use #1 currently... and it works out good for me, just wanted to see how everyone else does it..

thanks

Since it takes me forever to come up with new stuff (I can do a cover in an hour, what fun it that?), I normally have them as one file per song, then combine them when I burn them to CD.

For me, it seems to work better that way.

I record each part of the song as a separate file.

Verse1, Verse2, Bridge1, Chorus1, etc.

All separate files. That way, it makes it really easy for the listener to skip to and listen to just that part of the song that he/she wants to hear.

This was done a while ago, do a search, it was a pretty long thread with good arguments for both as I recall

seismetr0n said:
i was more thinking of when you record a band.. for their whole album..
for mixing and such
I've heard that the analog guys (in big studios, not us home rec'cors) would use one tape per song. I know some home recorders that would put the whole album on one tape because it's cheaper.

Since I am a digital person, I normally would do one file per song, but put all the songs in the same folder. I have had as many as 12 folders going at one time.

I don't record bands, so that part of the equation is out for me.

reshp1 said:
This was done a while ago, do a search, it was a pretty long thread with good arguments for both as I recall

Nevermind, I can't find it anymore. I usually set up a template and use the a separate file for each song.

chessrock said:
I record each part of the song as a separate file.

Verse1, Verse2, Bridge1, Chorus1, etc.

All separate files. That way, it makes it really easy for the listener to skip to and listen to just that part of the song that he/she wants to hear.

I wish they made cds like that.

The first project I did with a computer based system, I use a separate file for each song. I do everything as one big file now.

Kryptik said:
I wish they made cds like that.
They often do on classical music CDs.

And you don't need to do it as seperate files, it's just a matter of adding track markers in your CD software (e.g. CD Architect, Wavelab). The number of files or where they are split is arbitrary at that point.

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
They often do on classical music CDs.

And you don't need to do it as seperate files, it's just a matter of adding track markers in your CD software (e.g. CD Architect, Wavelab). The number of files or where they are split is arbitrary at that point.

(Slaps self on forehead). Damn. And to think of all the extra work I've been going through. I feel like an idiot now.

Seperate files, organized into a project folder, unless it's a remote. A typical project will have a couple of extra songs that don't make the cut, and will have the song order re-arranged along the way, so it works better to have seperate files. Then there's the issue of locate points, and scroll resolution. Also, I can't imagine putting all those eggs in one basket (file corruption).

-RD

technically i record all the songs as seperate files (ie stop then record again), so im not too worried about data corruption..
but they are all part of the same project..

it seems to be a split decision so far... (maybe leaning towards the individual files)

i tried to get a poll on this post but it was a rough nite for me (dial-up in an electrical storm - ouch) and i dont know what happened

I always use seperate files for seperate songs when the album has been done in the studio. If it is done live I use one large file. Personally, I don't want every channel to have the exact same settings on every song. I like to change my imaging, balance, tone etc... to fit each songs vibe more accurately. I figure the fact that it is the same performers and the same studio and the same tracking and mix engineer, that alone should lend the songs the consistency from one to the next.

Back