Do you need a pre amp compressor to get a smooth vocal sound?

Geg

I've been recording vocals and I've been using a compressor plug in which is meant to make the levels nice and even throughout the song but no matter what i do it just doesnt give the results i would like. Ive been reading up about pre amp compressors and i want to know is that what i need?

I've been recording vocals and I've been using a compressor plug in which is meant to make the levels nice and even throughout the song but no matter what i do it just doesnt give the results i would like. Ive been reading up about pre amp compressors and i want to know is that what i need?

I suggest you need smooth vocals to get a smooth vocal sound.

Whether you use a plug-in or an outboard compressor should not make any difference. One compresses during tracking, the other after. In fact, there is an advantage with some plug-in compressors in that they have a 'read-ahead' capability . . . they 'know' what the WAV is going to do next.

It is difficult to suggest things you can try without knowing what your voice is doing or how you are working the compressor.

I'm a fan of the "channel strips", but you can build those with the plug-ins too, ...Channel strip, software or hardware.
From what I see its commonly pre-amp, compressor, eq, out...maybe a desser thrown in...and a mic that works for you.

Attachments

• c strips.jpg
    c strips.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 78
  • c strip Neve.JPG
    c strip Neve.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 77

I have never heard of a pre amp compressor. I do not think they exist. Some companies do however make units with a mic pre and a compressor in one box.

Smoothness of a vocal has a lot more to do with mic choice and EQ than compression. Try and get those right first and then try to do some automation of the levels before the plug in compressor so it does not have to work so hard. This should help a lot.

Did you ever solve your problem?

Tate here,

jUst wondering if you ever solved your vocal level problems?

I don't want to sound like a douche but if the vocals aren't about where you want them to be in the first place, no amount of processing will really get it there.

I don't want to sound like a douche but if the vocals aren't about where you want them to be in the first place, no amount of processing will really get it there.
Exactly. The source is the most important part of the process. Not EQ or processing.

Yup...I'd start with a good singer with good mic technique.

not that I can do either....just sayin. :p

Back