Bouncing And Panning

Secondskin

I'm just about to start recording some material and I'm just about as green as it gets when it comes to the "Ins and Outs" so this may be a dumb question: I'm going to be using a Tascam mini-disc 4 track and would really like to record live drums. Obviously this is going to eat up all 4 tracks right off the bat. I realize that I can mix the drums down to one or two tracks, but I would also like to devote at least 2-3 tracks to guitar and 1 to bass and I also would like to be able to add keyboard or other various sounds here and there. My question is how can I accomplish this all while still being able to have panning ability, is it possible to take 2 seperate guitar tracks, bounce them down to 1 track and have the 2 guitars panned in different directions within that 1 track???

Yo Epidermis once removed:

Nay, nay, nay.

Once you bounce a couple of tracks to another track, you cannot tweak three tracks -- you can only pan/tweak the ONE TRACK THAT CONTAINS THREE TRACKS.

So, you need to consider getting a 16 track unit, or more, to do the ambitious stuff you want to do.

I still have my MD8 plugged in my studio and that box isn't too hard to use and it might suit your purposes. Nice sound but not CD quality but not bad either.

I'm also learning how to use my new Yam 2816 which has 16 tracks and that's more than enough for my use. The sound is very good on this unit. But, if you go to HD make sure you get a UPS unit too because if you're recording and lose your power, it does happen once in a while, you can mess up the HD as well as lose the recorded tracks. I have one on order as I write.

Hope this helps you out.
Green Hornet

:D :D :cool:

I think you could do it with 8 tracks, but it'd be a trial in patience...

You can pan and fade, and usually add effects with just about any multitrack recorder when you bounce tracks, but for example once you bounce your drums to 2 stereo tracks the panning and fading of individual elements is over. make sense?

-Shaz

Hey, Secondskin.

Looks like your question wasn't quite directly answered, though there is some good information posted up there.

Specifically, anything that you want to have in stereo must be on two different tracks. So if you want those 2 guitars to be in stereo, you'll need them on two tracks: one panned right and the other left.

This gets a little hairy when you are working with only 4 tracks, but it can be done. You'll have a lot of hard decisions to make, though.

Do you have a hi-fi VCR that you can use? That would make this process WAY easier and you could even keep your stereo drums.

If not, here's the idea:

Record your drums with 3 tracks. On the 4th track record something that will help you mix the drums: I typically did bass but a guitar might do the trick for you too. Mix those drums for all you're worth, adding whatever compression and effects you think they'll need.

Then cross your fingers, grit your teeth, knock on wood, rub your rosary- and bounce those drums down to track 4- over your bass or guitar track.

Check the mix on the new track!! If it doesn't sound right to you now this is your only chance to fix it. Repeat fix your mix if you have to and rebounce.

Here comes the fun part. Record your bass and 2 guitars over your original drum tracks. Your track setup should look like this:

1 Guitar One
2 Guitar Two
3 Bass
4 Drums

Then, when you have them mixed in stereo to perfection, bounce the drums, bass, and guitar two down onto track one, again adding any effects that you need. Check it to make sure it sounds OK. Then without touching any of the settings, bounce the drums and bass to track 2.

Whew. This is thick, but its how you have to do it if you have only 4 tracks and want stereo guitar. You should now have:

1 Drums, Bass, and Guitar Two
2 Drums and Bass.

Pan track one hard left and track 2 hard right. Re-record Guitar One on track 3 and pan it to the right so that it balances Guitar Two on the left. Once you have it mixed in perfect stereo, bound tracks 2 and 3 to track four. Check the mix, and then you should have:

1 Drums, Bass, and Guitar Two
4 Drums, Bass, and Guitar One.

Pan tracks 1 and 4 hard right and left and you should have your stereo guitar mix. See how the process works? Just continue on the same way with whaever other instruments you have to add.

If it doesn't sound good the first time through don't be too surprised. It is difficult to mixthe instruments without having the rest of the song there to mix with. It takes some practice to get down since you have to guess what levels you need for the drums and bass will need.

I hope that's helpful. Good luck!

Chris

Hmmph! (Snort!)

If I designed ballistic missles I would have had enough money to avoid doing that d@mn bouncing stuff on a 4-track for 12 years!

It was a challenge, it was fun, I got pretty good at it, I enjoyed it....

But I'm really, really, really, really happy that I can now blow out 20 tracks on my DAW without even having to think about it.

And its still challenging, fun, and yup, I still enjoy it. The jury is still out on whether I'm any good at it. :D

Thanks,
Chris

Back