Anyone know any popular folk songs recordings with singer/songwriter syndrome?

dmc777

I don't know it this is the proper place to but this but I'm talking about professional recordings using 1 or more mics where the singer is playing and singing at the same time. With no bass or drums preferably. I want to hear some examples of what can be done with different and proper micing techniques and such. Thanks for the help guys. Not talking oooold school Robert Johnson either. :p

dmc777 said:
I don't know it this is the proper place to but this but I'm talking about professional recordings using 1 or more mics where the singer is playing and singing at the same time. With no bass or drums preferably. I want to hear some examples of what can be done with different and proper micing techniques and such. Thanks for the help guys. Not talking oooold school Robert Johnson either. :p
One of my favorite such recordings is from the MTV Unplugged CD. There is a cut on there of Stevie Ray Vaughn doing an acoustic solo version of "Pride and Joy" that sounds remarkable. Add in the fact that it was done on stage in front of a live audience and it's doubly so.

G.

Being obsessed with acoustic guitar tone, I'll be very interested to see where this thread goes.

I was listening to The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan recently, and although that's a really old record, the sound of those songs just seems really great to me. A hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall, or Masters of War just sound like the perfect one voice, one guitar recording.

I also like the sound of David Gray's Lost Songs record - more modern sound.

I have no idea if this is true or not, but I have it in my head that both albums were tracked pretty much live. And I have no idea how these records were made, mic placement, etc.

I think Don McLean's "American Pie" was recorded that way. I remember reading about what they had to do to get separation, but I don't remember the details or where I read it.

bilco

Tony Rice's "Church Street Blues" album is one of my favorites. The recording is beautiful and during some of the instrumental passages you can hear him breathing.

I don't have a professional ear but my most favourite sounding voice and guitar album is 'Master and Everyone' by Bonnie Prince Billy. Very 'organic' for want of a better expresion (yeah I know, "....dancing about architecture" :D ).

The recent Neil Diamond album (12 songs) sounds pretty amazing too although there's a bit more instrumentation on some of the songs. Rick Rubin produced that one.

A scottish band called aberfeldy recorded an album live with just one mic (a geffel UM92IS). Pretty amazing considering their sound consists 3 vocalists, synths, guitar, fiddle, banjo, glockenspiel and a full drumkit! (only the bass was DI'd). It was also in mono, and recorded at 16 bit.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep04/articles/aberfeldy.htm

You can hear a couple of songs from that album here:

http://www.aberfeldys.com/tunes.html

Back