Affordable drum mic sets (Pyle Pro, Audix)...any experiences?

Nervous Eater

Hello everyone, just joined the forum. I'm new to recording and on a very tight budget, but I'd still like to try my hand at getting a decent recording. Don't need perfect quality, just need a good value if possible. Has anyone had any experiences with these two sets?

Pyle Pro 7 piece drum mic set: Amazon.com: Pyle-Pro - 7 Microphone Wired Drum Kit with Mounting Accesories: Musical Instruments

Audix Fusion 6 piece drum mic set: Amazon.com: Audix FUSION 6 Drum Mic Package: Musical Instruments

Any insight into any other sets would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance for all the help!

Thanks for the input. I saw the CAD set but was worried by some negative reviews on musicians friend. If you found you could get a decent sound from this set then I'll have to consider it. Anyone else?

I used to own the Fusion set.

The f10 mics are ok, a little muddy but not bad.
The f12 sucks, fucking muddy on everything I tried it on. It's passable though, I just would attempt to find something else asap. I REALLY hated it on kick.
The f15 mics are just ok, I still own them and use them from time to time but again nothing that great IMO. The clarity in my overheads increased dramatically when I upgraded to some RE200s.

Now the F14 isn't in that set, but comparing one to the D6 that mic is actually quite good. I wish I still had the examples I recorded with one. I liked that mic haha. To bad it's not apart of the Fusion 6 piece set.

It's all about the drums, the drummer, and the experience/knowledge of the person doing the recording. I'm not saying any shitty mics will sound good, but if you go to the MP3 Clinic and listen to GregL's tunes, you'll hear what I mean. He uses the CAD mics, or at least he did for a long time, pretty sure he still does. And his drum recordings are the best sounding ones on this site.

Back