Zoom H4n for classical guitar recording questions

hariskar

I just got Zoom H4n and would like to make some questions:
What should be the distance from the guitar?
What is the optimal setting for rec volume?
Should the recorder be vertical (standing) or horizontal?
I would like to combine the recording with video. I have a Sony HDR-CX280 handycam and try to find out if it supports usb streaming, if yes I could use it as a webcam to record to Movie Maker.
All other solutions require video/audio sync and I would prefer to avoid that.
Any suggestions for windows or linux?

Thank you!

The distance from recorder to guitar will require experimenting on your part, the room you ar erecording in, how youplay and the guitar itself make for too many variables for one set anwer.
To make a video, record video wiht your camcorder, record the audio with the Zoom, import both in your computer, use video software to mut ethe camcorder's audio, then add the zoom's audio file to it. Using a loud handclap as a synch point before starting the song will help with synching, then just edit out that part in the final video.

I have one, and it is a great device. The built-in microphones, however, are not very good IMO. As soon as I got an SE2200a microphone the sound quality was A LOT better. When I got another LDC mic, I was able to record classical guitar in stereo which was even better. But for now, of course, you should use what you have.

The recorder should stay horizontal, and the mics should be adjusted to the 90 degrees setting. Monitor while recording through headphones to find the best spot.

Now I am in the process to find a good microphone to connect to H4n. Rode NT-4? I Neumann KM-184-MT to make mono recordings? These are my choices till now.

my band wanted to make a video to help us get club jobs. the drummer recorded the video with his iPad and I used my brothers zoom h4n for the audio. I used the DAW software Reaper to sync them. very easy. we used the hand clap method for a sharp impulse that was easy to line up.

Back