transfer analog tracks to digital recorder

soch2000

Hello - Thanks for reading my first post. Years ago I had recorded a bunch of songs on an yamaha analog 8 track recorder. I now have a digital multi track recorder. I would like to transfer the tracks from the analog recorder to the digital recorder. This way I can take advantage of all the mixing features of the digital recorder. Anyone have any idea on how I can transfer the tracks from one device to another? E.g. how I would connect the 2 devices. Thanks a lot.

We need a little more info on the recorders, like make and model number, then we can help.

Sure.

Tracks of song are on a Yamaha MT8X multitrack cassette recorder

Want to transfer them to a Korg D12 Digital Recorder

Of course I want to preserve the synching of the tracks (guitar, drums, etc) so that the tracks sound in rhythm when played at once.

Thanks a lot for taking a look...

Since you have only 4 tracks in on the D12, it's gonna get extremely tricky. I'd say impossible, unless you have one track free on the Yamaha to record a SMPTE sync signal, and the D12 can receive MTC.

I will have to do some research about SMPTE sync and MTC. I guess a more basic question then is, how do I simply connect the 2 devices together to transfer the tracks, or would be there some intermediary device involved? Thanks for your response!

Except for the device doing the tape sync you should be able to connect them together.

so for four tracks, it's not a problem.

Yo 2000 and counting:

[BTW=Hello Regebro--been a while but good to read your comments.]GH

I'm not sure about this but if you can import wave tracks on your Korg, there might be an avenue to try.

I have remastered many songs I did on 8 track tape. But, of course, I could not get the individual tracks from analog to digital, so here is what I did.

Re-record the mixed down stereo track into the digital box. Can't do much much tweaking; however, if the stereo track is dry, you can add some abience, light reverb. Also, you can cut some EQ like the low end or high end. You can't do a great deal with the EQ but I have remastered CDs, done at a studio, and by cutting the bass EQ, the vocals come to the front, where they belong.

I have imported to wave tracks with my SIAB, Yam 2816 which were sent to me by a friend who tweaked some of my recordings.

So, maybe the wave track import will work, maybe not--I'm not sure.

Happy Spring
Green Hornet :D

Back