tascam 4 track, playback is really low

fakeplastik1

hey guys! I'm new here and any assistance would help immensely.

I just bought a tascam portastudio 424 mkII. when i play my guitar either plugged straight in or mic'd, or sing through the mic, the volume bars go way up, and even distort cause i have everything maxed out (i.e. trim, eq's, etc.). However, when i decide to playback everything ive recorded...its realllly low in the headphones, but still even a little distorted.

thanks again guys,
Nick

thanks. i considered that but they're just some ipod headphones that work great with everythig else. i got a converter that allows me to use a quarter inch jack.

Is your master fader turned up? And your monitor knob? And when you playback, are you switching the channel you recorded on to "tape?"

I have the same problem

I have a Boss 900 and the playback is low also. But how high do you think it should be? High enough to jam out, or loud enough to hear it? I need to use an amp for recording drums, because it is not loud enough for that. Just guitars.

Original problem - check all your volume controls, - channel, master, etc. How about taking the line-outs from the recorder into some self-powered monitors (or into the line-in on your PC, if nothing else available) and check the volume output. If its the same, then you know it is a wrong setting/control or something is broken.

Onto the guy with the drum recording problem - what mics are you using? If they're condensors needing phantom power, are they getting it? It makes no sense if guitars record alright but not drums if the mic is the same.

thanks. i considered that but they're just some ipod headphones that work great with everythig else. i got a converter that allows me to use a quarter inch jack.

You considered it but didn't do it? Do it!

And I think the main problem is your perception of "loud". Not just you, but anybody brought up in the past decade. Music cannot be that loud until you do some very specific things to it (that totally destroy it, but that's another story). These things are done WAAAAAAAYYYY after tracking, so don't worry about it. Just turn up the head phones.

Better yet, get beefy headphones to replace the ipod buds and turn them up.

Better yet, get an amp and some full-range (not all-in-one 5.1 system) speakers.

Back