Studio Monitor Problems!!!!!!!!!!!!

jackbowen123

Hi, I have just bought my first pair of monitors (KRK RP5's), I have plugged them into my computer however when playing back from itunes for example, the frequencies seem very unbalanced. The bass is very high, and often in some songs some parts are completely missing usually in the mid range. For example in one song no guitar can be heard whatsoever. I have tried using an equaliser to balance this but the frequencies sound very unbalanced. I have connected my monitors with two 1/4" jack cables, each into an adapter converting to 1/8", then both of them into a twin adapter which plugs into the headphone socket. Is this problem because I havn't plugged them into an interface first? Or is this more of a problem with the monitors? I am very new to studio equipment.

Please help!!!!

Thank you,
Jack

Ideally, you should connect monitors to your interface. However, it should not sound too bad connecting them to your sound card, and headphone sockets are usually manageable.

There could be other factors affecting the sound. For example, are your monitors in a corner? Or flat against the wall? These positions will accentuate the bass.

I suspect the problem is with your adapters into your headphone jack. Is it possible you are hearing the left (or right) channel only in both monitors?

My monitors are not up against a wall, but are spaced out facing inwards, also, it could be very possible that im getting one channel through both monitors, is this from the way i connected it? Are there options to change this if I am only getting one channel?

Thank you

My monitors are not up against a wall, but are spaced out facing inwards, also, it could be very possible that im getting one channel through both monitors, is this from the way i connected it? Are there options to change this if I am only getting one channel?

Thank you

Yes, purchase an interface. Trust me, there is nothing good to say about a 1/8" connection. I have had nothing but problems in the past, regarding 1/8" adapters, jacks, or anything having to do with them. Seriously, they are just evil.

You can get an interface for $60 or less, that will solve your basic issues. More money to avoid future issues. What your future plans are, should be your deciding factor. First, get away from that internal soundcard and that 1/8" crap/jack. :)

Back