Steps from dry tracks to final mix?

thisisbrianly

Hey everyone,

I'm working on my first second project currently - it will be for my wedding coming up in June. The song will basically be a few layers of acoustic guitars and one vocal track, no harmonies.

I have recorded all the dry tracks in Audacity and they sound as good as I'll get them. I would like to put some compression and reverb on the vocal track - not sure what effects for the acoustic guitars yet.

My question is what are the steps I need to take from now until the finished product. Effects, then mix, or the other way around, or amplifying all tracks first....?? I'm completely lost on what to do next and what to do first. Are there any good, simple tutorials on steps after dry recording?

Any guidance would be appreciated - thanks!

the wait...

Hey BrianLY,
I see no responses yet so I'll jump in though I'm not an expert by any stretch of imagination. So take what I say with some grains and keep asking...

On my first acoustic tracks I added too many effects with the idea that doing so would make it sound more professional. Now, I realize that if it sounds fairly decent, the trick is to keep what you've got and make it sound more consistent, fuller. I'm not quite there yet but my sense is that compression and maybe some eq-ing will get you most of the way there and then a little reverb to liven up a little followed by a final 'MIX' compession or limiter to keep all the levels as hot as possible and uniform.

I recently read a post elsewhere that was really helpful...I'll find the citation for you and email you. basically the idea is this (and it is not mine):

clone each guitar track twice
leave the original alone
slide one of the clone tracks "left" or back by two clicks and pan 25%left
slide the other track "right" or forward (towards the end of the song) by one click and pan 25% right

I suppose you could fiddle (see, I'm really not a professional!) with the eqs on each of the cloned tracks to accentuate bass tones on some, highs on others to give your recording more accent outside the midrange--what we are most adept at hearing...

this "fattens" each acoustic track without muddying the tonality

for vocals I suggest recording three vocal tracks instead of cloning or bouncing. if you sing as similarly as possible on each track, you will keep the integrity of your vocal performance and really make it sound "big" using reverb, etc. costing cpu resources if you don't have them (I have no idea what kind of system you are running).

so to review:
1) record tracks as cleanly and accurately as you can
2) add compression to limit peak transients and bring up softer volume notes
3) administer the above "fattening" technique
4) route all tracks through an effects bus with mild reverb to taste
5) add master compression or limiter on the master bus

I'm sure there are many around her who will be able to correct many of my ideas if they are incorrect. That being the case, I would make a duplicate of your entire project, rename it something memorable, and then try these doctorizations (a technical term) on it while preserving your original. that way, if anything I've offered messes things up you still have your original work safeguarded.

All the best and congratulations on the wedding,

Ratchedhead makes some good suggestions, but I don't think you need to go to those lengths for this exercise. You are doing this for a wedding right? The bride is gonna love you however it sounds, and the guests will think you are wonderful simply for doing it.

You say you have recorded some dry tracks.

The general order of events is to apply whatever treatments you want to the tracks, then mix (though these activites can be concurrent if you are applying real-time effects).

Note Ratchethead's list:

2) add compression to limit peak transients and bring up softer volume notes
3) administer the above "fattening" technique
5) add master compression or limiter on the master bus

I would modify that list:

If you are comfortable and confident at using compression and EQ, then you can add those steps in between 1 and 4. Otherwise don't worry about it.

I agree with Gecko that the bride will most likely love it no matter what you do. She proabably won't even pay much attention because she'll be crying so hard. But, here's what I would do...(but I'm no professional)

Step 1. Follow the above techniques and when you like the way it sounds, save the project as whatever you want, just don't save over the original. BTW, I like offsetting a copied guitar track by a couple of milliseconds and panned about 50% L/R. It makes it more full.

Step 2. Tweak, Tweak, and Tweak some more. I have the most fun with mixing when I try things I haven't done before. Add that reverb, turn up the delay, amp simulator...why not. Have fun and learn. :D:D:D

Peace!

Thanks for all the replies guys! These are all very helpful, and things I wouldn't have figured out myself. And thanks for the congrats, we are both excited. Will be sure to upload the project when its all done and get more of your feedback.

And just as a side note...

On my acoustic tracks, instead of copying one track and pasting it to another track with a few cents nudge, I'll just play the same part twice. To my ears, it sounds fuller, more lively. It almost gives it a chorus type of feel.

To each his own but worth trying out.

I like your version. Very nice vocals and lead acoustic guitar. However the bass almost blew my speakers up. :D

What technique did you use for the guitars?

Also, if you want more feedback on you mix, post this over at the MP3 Clinic.

I like your version. Very nice vocals and lead acoustic guitar. However the bass almost blew my speakers up. :D

What technique did you use for the guitars?

Also, if you want more feedback on you mix, post this over at the MP3 Clinic.

Thanks for listening dastrick. I recorded both the picked guitar and strummed guitar with a cheap large diaphram condensor mic (MXL 990). The mic was pointed @ the 12th fret. Any suggestions to tone it down?

Back