Some Recommendations?

Auxied

So I've been using the Blue Yeti for a while and the sound is terrific, but it doesn't sound good when recording instruments like a cello or piano. My friend wants my Yeti, so this is the time I decide on a new microphone, but don't want to go overboard with the budget (I'm willing to spend $100-200 USD on the whole setup). I've been looking mostly at the AT2020 USB, as it's also a plug and play, so I wouldn't need to buy an audio interface and xlr cables, but it's $145 alone... Then I looked at the XLR version which is just $88, but I would need to spend a lot on an audio interface(Recommending a really cheap and decent one would be great) and have nothing to buy accessories... A website states that the AT2035 was really good for home recording and I found a good combo that covers everything except the audio interface for $149. It's getting a little complicated, so I'm just asking if you guys could recommend me a microphone good for vocals, talking to friends over skype while having a little reduced background noise, and recording instruments. An audio interface recommendation would be great too.

I'm a fan of the Shure PG81, have one for my acoustic guitar recording and my collaborator uses one for his vocals 3,000 miles away [we're also on a budget]. He's using a Presonus AudioBox USB interface.

Links:
PreSonus AudioBox USB | Sweetwater.com
Amazon.com: Shure PG81-XLR Cardioid Condenser Instrument Microphone with XLR-to-XLR Cable: Musical Instruments

The PG81 is getting harder to find, I don't think they're making it any more(?). It's a phenomenal mic for general use, which is what you want/need. Here's an example track where the acoustic and vocals are both recorded with this mic. It's a touch out of budget, but getting an audio interface is a real must moving forward anyway. You may even be able to find the mic cheaper on eBay.

The PG81 isn't a replacement for a good vocal mic, but on a tight budget there aren't many mics as flexible as this. Someone will invariably mention the SM57, which is the industry workhorse/standard. I find it works fine for many things, but with vocals the PG81 is noticeably more detailed. For a few more dollars and the specific application you're looking to use it, the PG81 is still the better choice.

Amazon.com: Shure SM-57 Cardioid Dynamic Instrument Microphone: Musical Instruments

If you don't have one already, you'll need a mic stand. You likely also want a pop filter, although that's optional.

If your goal is to record no more than 1 or 2 tracks at a time, I would take a look at the Focusrite Scarlett solo - usb interface. You can get a bundle that includes a large diaphram condenser mic and a nice pair headphones for just under $200 on eBay by making an offer. $199 on Amazon. I do own a larger Scarlett interface and I can tell you, to me they are outstanding and this little bundle gets very good reviews. BTW, you can get just the interface, new, for just under $100. Then you can get your own mic to go with it. I like the Shures also. You can get good used ones (PG 81 or an SM 57) on eBay for around $50 - if you buy used stuff like I do sometimes to save money. I know there are better interfaces out there, but these are great for the money in my opinion.

The general advice here would be to ALWAYS go for a separate mic and audio interface (rather than a USB mic) as it offers you the ability to record more than one track at a time simultaneously, as well as offering direct monitoring (zero latency), and the ability to change mics in the future without starting from scratch again.

Back