Recording from a Yamaha YDP223 digital piano

Dr Trek 1

Hi everyone,

I ideally want to record the actual sound of my Yamaha to my computer (not the MIDI rendition). Is all I need, then, a cord to go from my audio out to my audio in on my computer? What exact type of cord do I need? What is the best/easiest software to use so that I can then record a vocal track over this? What type of mic should I get to use with my PC?

Thanks so much.

Do some searching around this web site, there's plenty of "getting started" info.
No one can help you with your set up unless you tell us what you have for equipment (computer, soundcard, interfaces, etc.)

as your first purchase consider an audio interface... in other words ditch the gamer soundcard... you'll gain better audio... a variety of inputs... and most come with lite versions of the better progs...

Use a 1/4" TRS to 3.5mm TRS cable from the AUX OUT L/L+R into your PC soundcard input. Open Volume Control, and set the recording option to Line Input. Set the level as required--you are best off sending as hot an output from the Yamaha as possible, and keeping the Volume Control level low. But make sure the signal from the Yamaha doesn't distort the PC input. Basically, turn down the Yamaha until the signal doesn't distort, even when you bang on the keys really hard.

If you aren't satisfied with that quality, then look into an interface (which you will probably want to record vocals anyway).

Back