Recording / Playback device for bass practicing

Blackfire74

Hello,
I'm new here. I'm a bass player and former guitarist from Poland.
I'm trying to find a device, desktop or portable type which includes some useful functions for me to practice or maybe even record bass guitar with drum loops, bass-less backing tracks, etc.

Here are some functions I'd like to heve in such device. I suppose I won't be able to have them all but we'll see what you guys can propose:

1. 3.5mm TRS headphones/line out output
2. 3.5mm TRS line in input (AUX usually is not controllable via device) Would be nice to have at least line in volume control or even panning fot input
3. Multi layer recording (2 layers is enough as long as I can record backing track [1st layer] and endlessly overdub bass line with undo/redo function [2nd layer]), possibly with volume and panning control for each layer
4. If not multi layer then at least 2 channel recording with volume and panning control
5. A-B Repeat function with possibility of recording during loop play - THIS IS A MUST!
6. Would be nice to have Center Cancel function so I can record music from somewhere and cut bass
7. It doesn't have to have guitar input. I would play through a multieffect with line out output plugged into recording device.

Recording function is required to get some music into device as well as storing on SDHC card, and sometimes to record bass lines over drum loops or backing tracks, but I favor other functions more than recording like A-B Repeat.

I don't wanna overdose with functions, but if there is anything matching above requirements with addition of velocity sensitive drum pads with built-in drum sets or easily replaceable drum sets via PC (with good online library), that would be perfect thing.

Well, I was shuffling through the Internet but I have no idea how to find and where to find such device.
Any help is appreciated. More devices - more choices. Thanks

Hi Blackfire and welcome to HR. Sounds to me that you want a combination of a Audio Interface, a looper pedal and maybe a bit of a mixer thrown in! You really need to start with an interface and see how far that gets you. You must in any case have some means of recording audio into a PC.

My first instinct is to recommend to you the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 and for sure one would be fine for the purpose (well, a bit!) However two new interfaces have come to the fore from the well respected company MOTU, their M2 and M4 interfaces and I have to say they look bloody gorgeous!

They have all the near state of art sound and converter quality you could need and very low latency* They also come with some excellent software and a huge sample pack to download. I would strongly suggest you go for the M4.

The other functions you feel you need might have to come from additional hardware, the looper for example (my son has one and can store tracks to its internal SD card.) As far as connectors go you can buy adapters for EVERYTHING on the web!

*Latency is the delay you hear twixt striking a string or key and hearing a note. Your requirements would seem to me such that you will want that delay to be all but undetectable. The NI KA6 was one of the best AIs for this. The MOTUs look to be better.

Dave.

And that's exactly what I thought ;)

Ok, given it a bit more thought.. Son has a JamMan pedal looper, he can store ***t long songs on that. You also want to import backing tracks? Phone? Then you need a small mixer to combine backing and bass.
How do you listen to all this? Bass amp? Headphones? You will need a mixer to control and drive them.

But quite honestly B, I am sure there are guys here that are doing 75% of what you want and somebody else knows how to do the other 25% and they are doing that on PCs because THAT is 'how it is done' and there is sheds of software, much of it free that can do just about anything anybody wants.

Dave.

Naaah . . . can do lots of stuff with looping pedals.

Also, hardware recorders can put stuff into loops for playing along to.

Not as easy to work with, but.

True Gecks true but I get the impression OP wants to use downloaded tracks? Then he mentions a Karaoke function. ANOTHER box? I think he needs a plug in for that?

Dave.

True Gecks true but I get the impression OP wants to use downloaded tracks? Then he mentions a Karaoke function. ANOTHER box? I think he needs a plug in for that?

Dave.

OP wants to do a lot of stuff which indeed would be very easy in the box and is messy outside it.

But when OP talks about karaoke function he has the idea of manipulating a track to remove bass so that he can play along with it (in a similar way to removing a vocal). But for the purpose of practising, just removing the bottom end would take care of that (even if you may lose some of the kick drum).

OP wants to do a lot of stuff which indeed would be very easy in the box and is messy outside it.

But when OP talks about karaoke function he has the idea of manipulating a track to remove bass so that he can play along with it (in a similar way to removing a vocal). But for the purpose of practising, just removing the bottom end would take care of that (even if you may lose some of the kick drum).

Err...would an HPF do much about snapping and slapping?

Dave.

Back