Question about copyrighting songs...

14yearoldkid

Hey, What form would be best to fill out when copyrighting more than one song on a single "Collection". I want to take several songs and copyright them under the same work, this way it will be cheaper. Do I fill out the Sound Recording form or the Performing Arts form? I am very confused as to what each does... if anyone knows please let me know, thanks

Do some searching through the "Marketing your Music" sub-board on this website. A lot of useful info on copyrights up there.

Hey, What form would be best to fill out when copyrighting more than one song on a single "Collection". I want to take several songs and copyright them under the same work, this way it will be cheaper. Do I fill out the Sound Recording form or the Performing Arts form? I am very confused as to what each does... if anyone knows please let me know, thanks

Use the PA form. you can download it from www.Copyright.gov (If you're in the US). Very straight forward.

It's cheaper if you file online, saves $10. go to the same website and look for the link to Register Online. Follow through the prompts.

peace.

yup...

check out Chili's link. Even I could do it so fairly straight forward.

Oh....and what'll happen to yer posts when you turn 15? :D

lol I am 19 years old man! haha, i made this a while ago!

thanks dude, So using the PA it ill fully protect each song?

Your songs are fully protected already. As soon as you put your song (or other copyrightable material) into a tangible form, like paper or tape or CD, you own that song. Registering with the copyright office is just that, registering your ownership. This helps when you have to go to court to stake claim in an ownership dispute.

Although not necessary, you can put the copyright notice on all your works.
© 2009 Joe Somebody, BMI I always put my PRO affiliation on there as well because that tells everyone where to send the royalties. :D

Back