Optimal volume levels for recording?

maestoso43

Hi Friends,

I'm recording a digital piano through an interface to Cubase on my laptop.

I'm just curious what volume levels you think would be best.

I have 4 components I need to worry about:

1. Digital piano volume

2. Input channel on interface volume

3. Output channel on interface volume (I listen to it on my headphones)

4. Laptop volume

Do these volumes matter as long as I'm not clipping?

When I test, I try to get the combination to hover a little short of the red zone when I'm playing my loudest chords. Should this be my goal? Or could I otherwise optimize my recording with a particular combination?

Your recording level should be not more that about -12dBFS peak. Average levels should be lower. If you are getting anywhere near 0dBFS (clipping) you are way too hot.

I would set the piano volume to about 70% then the interface input level to whatever gets the recording level peaking at or just below that -12dBFS level. Leave any software input level controls at their unity positions. Set outputs as needed for monitoring the signal.

Excellent article! Nice site, too! I'm sure I'll be visiting it frequently.

How helpful to know that my manual's instruction to "record as loudly as possible without clipping" is a bunch of bull.

I'll definitely do some recordings at the levels that your article and bouldersoundguy recommended.

Oh, and your steak analogy was great. It really simplifies your concepts for a newbie like me.

I'll post some short samples to this thread for y'all to hear.

"bouldersoundguy" mentioned "unity" levels. What does "unity" mean?

"Unity gain" means no change in level between input and output. A typical fader on a mixing board will have a "0" position with +5dB to +10dB of gain above that and ∞ attenuation (-∞ gain) below. Some faders, digital or analog, have the unity position at the top with no additional gain, only attenuation.

In addition to what has already been said, the answer to questions 3 and 4 are "how loud do you want to listen to what you are doing?"

Never confuse monitoring (listening) volume with recording level. The recording level needs to be a certain level, no matter what, the monitoring level is just the volume you feel like listening at, and should be set after the recording level is established.

Sample!

Hi Friends,

Thanks again for all your help.

Here is a sample recording of Chopin's "Minute" Waltz.

I followed your recommendations:

1. I set the piano's volume to 70%

2. I then set the in channel's volume such that when I played my loudest, it never exceeded -12dB.

Some notes:

The loudest this particular piece ever got was -16.5dB.

I converted it into a WAV at 16bits and 44.1 . . . hz. I then converted it into an MP3 at 192 kbps.

I would appreciate your feedback very much!

What should I adjust? How could I improve it? Is the volume and everything good?

Thanks!

View attachment Sample2 (MP3).mp3

If that is straight off the 24 bit audio then you are in the right range. The peaks are well below clipping and the noise of the piano itself is above the noise floor of 24 bit audio.

Back