Noise/crackle from Speakers

hugopresser

I've recently gotten a tape machine and wanted to record tracks into it, but there is a noise that is consistently coming from my speakers.
I've recorded a bit of the noise with my Iphone and amplified it:

View attachment static eg.mp3

someone suggested it might be my monitor, or wireless mouse and keyboard, but this didn't seem to make a difference.
The speakers are plugged into a Avid fast track solo, which i recently got, with the 2 soundcards I had before it, the noise was present. The noise seems to start when the Windows 7 sign appears, but not before then, and it also seems to synchronize with the light around the power button on the PC, or if I open a piece of software/put the computer under some stress the noise gets louder.

I'm really in need of some help regarding this, im a bit of a newb so anything would be appreciate.

It's typical computer noise. Laptops seem particularly prone to it. It appears to be linked to the power supply.

If you are on a laptop, usually the sound vanishes when you run from the battery.

On a PC it is more difficult to isolate. Onhe PC I had was noiseless. The next had that kind of noise. However, I was able to get rid of it totally by using balanced leads from interface to monitors.

The noise has a strong 1kHz component plus harmonics and, except for the blip at the end, is perfectly monophomic.
This suggests to me that it is "digitally generated" and could simply be the internal levels in Win 7 being too high.

Go into the sound menus and find the device and check the recording level, if it is at 100% (bet ya!) pull it back to 5% and do another run.

You say you "amplified it"? By how much? The posted clip comes up at about -22dBFS, what level does it show in your DAW software?

Is it just a recorded phenomenon or do you hear it on say radio programmes?

Dave.

Attachments

• noise,whine.png
    noise,whine.png
    205.3 KB · Views: 50
hey I know this is a few years too late, but I was just having this trouble again and tried what you said and it worked.

thank you.

Hugo

Back