My own HomeStudio

CoiCrow

Hello everyone. I'm a fresh member of the board and before I tell you anything else: Sorry for my english... I'm a dumb Dutch guy :eek: .

Ok, that's clear, now let's get to the subject.
I want to build my own homestudio because I love writing songs and record them. At this moment I'm using a very cheap mic. and my laptop with the onboard soundcard. Although this sounds like shit I'm able to get (imho) a pretty good sound out of it.

I'm making music now for 10 years (first Hardcore: Boem Boem Boem music) and for the last 4 years I'm creating more rock/punk/metal/britpop sounding music. It's a whole other angle than before. I'm also in a band, and we're getting better and better every week with more gigs to play at.

But now I want to build a small studio in our rehersal room, cause I like to record music. This is a list of things I'm willing to buy:

- Mackie Onyx 1640
- Mackie Onyx Firewire card
- Some good Studio Monitor speakers, with I have to listen to first at some shops
- A new computer (Not quite sure if I'm going for a PC or an Apple yet, but it has to be a laptop!
- A whole bunch of Mics (I already know withs ones I'm going to get)

So that's the basic setup. But now there is a thing that bugs me a little bit. If I go multitracking trough the Firewire cable to my new laptop than the signals comming in (16 channals) are all Pre-EQ and Pre-Effects.
Ok, this isn't a big deal cause with some plugings and some midi-controllers I'm able to set the Eq right and put some effects on and with the Midi-controllers I will still have this "hardware feeling" which I like.

But I was thinking: What if I just get a good soundcard with about 16 inputs, a little bit cheaper mixer and some hardware effects and compressors I will be able to record everyhing multitracking (so all the 16 channels at the same time) and have the effects and Eq setting with it also.

What do you guy's reckon is the best thing to do? Or what other possibilety's are there? You have to keep in mind that I also want to use the equipment for LIVE gigs with the stuff beeing the PA system and in that way I'm also capible of recording the gigs (for my band, and others).

So the music will be "rock/punk/metal/britpop" sounding and my buget is something like 5000 euros. And what Kind of laptop shall I get? (go for an Apple Powerbook or a PC (I have lot's of experience with normal pc's and none with Apple computers)).

The reason why I NEED it to be a laptop is that I want it all to be as mobile as possible because of the recording at gigs and because me and my band a traveling around a lot.

Um... Help me :p

Hey,

I'm also a Dutch guy and doesn't have that much experience yet. However for your notebook, what kind of software do you want to use on it. I mean do you want to use cakewalk, Cubase, Steinberg..... (Only WIN PC) or Logic (Apple)????

I would rather go for a win laptop just I'm more experienced with it and the programs are cheaper. However, a Apple is much more stable, but you will have to pay for it.

Remco

You are going to be hard pressed to find 16 channels of preamp, EQ, and A/D/A conversion for less than the Mackie.

CoiCrow said:
Hello everyone. I'm a fresh member of the board and before I tell you anything else: Sorry for my english... I'm a dumb Dutch guy :eek: .

Ok, that's clear, now let's get to the subject.
I want to build my own homestudio because I love writing songs and record them. At this moment I'm using a very cheap mic. and my laptop with the onboard soundcard. Although this sounds like shit I'm able to get (imho) a pretty good sound out of it.

I'm making music now for 10 years (first Hardcore: Boem Boem Boem music) and for the last 4 years I'm creating more rock/punk/metal/britpop sounding music. It's a whole other angle than before. I'm also in a band, and we're getting better and better every week with more gigs to play at.

But now I want to build a small studio in our rehersal room, cause I like to record music. This is a list of things I'm willing to buy:

- Mackie Onyx 1640
- Mackie Onyx Firewire card
- Some good Studio Monitor speakers, with I have to listen to first at some shops
- A new computer (Not quite sure if I'm going for a PC or an Apple yet, but it has to be a laptop!
- A whole bunch of Mics (I already know withs ones I'm going to get)

So that's the basic setup. But now there is a thing that bugs me a little bit. If I go multitracking trough the Firewire cable to my new laptop than the signals comming in (16 channals) are all Pre-EQ and Pre-Effects.
Ok, this isn't a big deal cause with some plugings and some midi-controllers I'm able to set the Eq right and put some effects on and with the Midi-controllers I will still have this "hardware feeling" which I like.

But I was thinking: What if I just get a good soundcard with about 16 inputs, a little bit cheaper mixer and some hardware effects and compressors I will be able to record everyhing multitracking (so all the 16 channels at the same time) and have the effects and Eq setting with it also.

What do you guy's reckon is the best thing to do? Or what other possibilety's are there? You have to keep in mind that I also want to use the equipment for LIVE gigs with the stuff beeing the PA system and in that way I'm also capible of recording the gigs (for my band, and others).

So the music will be "rock/punk/metal/britpop" sounding and my buget is something like 5000 euros. And what Kind of laptop shall I get? (go for an Apple Powerbook or a PC (I have lot's of experience with normal pc's and none with Apple computers)).

The reason why I NEED it to be a laptop is that I want it all to be as mobile as possible because of the recording at gigs and because me and my band a traveling around a lot.

Um... Help me :p
You would actually end up spending more money going the that way. You want to be able to add effects on post anyway, that is, you record your tracks without effects and add them in when you mix down. The reason for this is getting them right in the mix. If you add them in when you are recording and they don't sound right, you have to scratch that track and redo it.
Your set up as it stands is just fine.

I was going to say that too. If you "absolutely" need a laptop to "stay mobile", then lugging all the outboard hardware(compressors, eq's) around seems kind of an about-face. Go with the laptop, and keep all the efx internal.

That Jab at PC's being less stable is a crock. I have NEVER had XP go down on me. Ever. I have had my comp lock up, but that was due to too much heat. I have NEVER gotten a BSOD with XP, and haven't ever found anything incompatible with it.

Go with a PC with XP in Laptop form. Just for my personal recommendation, if you are going to be serious about recording and such, get Sonar 4 Producers edition. That will do everything you need.

I'm now concidering also an other option.
I will get an Apple, that's clear. No discussion there anymore.

But instead of the Macky Onyx 1640 I'm now thinking of a Tascam DM-24. Cause in that way I also have an controler, some effects, and some awsome functions for setting up songs and for Live Gigs.

Which one would you choose?

this is the same setup that I'm doing also.. Ive got the mics and now my mixer should be here within 2-5 days.

Back