Monitor & headphone testing

notCardio

I walk the line
Wasn't sure which forum to put this in, but I thought that a lot of other newbies might like to hear the answer to this one, too.

How do you more experienced recording types test monitors and headphones when selecting new ones?

I keep reading that you should use CD's that you're very familiar with, but if you've never been able to hear them on what would be considered top-of-the-line professional monitors, them how would that help? You might just say, "Hey, that doesn't have nearly the bottom end of my current setup. These must have weak lows.", when in reality, your current setup has an artificial bass-boost.

Does anyone use test tone CD's and do you think they're effective or necessary?

Thanks.

Ah, Grasshopper, the Zen Master has discovered two indisputable truths!

If they sound good to you, then they are good.

Buy the best you can afford.

Seriously tho, that's pretty much it, in that order. It doesn't matter if I think they sound great - if you think they suck, you're not going to like them.

Check out the search function - there was a recent thread on h/phones and the Sony **** (insert 4 digits here) won by a large margin.

Same for monitors.

happy hunting,

foo

I appreciate your reply, especially considering that you are the only one who did. And I certainly don't want to pick a fight with you, foo (permanently labeling myself a foo fighter), but I believe the zen master has been contemplating the wrong navel. Perhaps I should rephrase my question, and attempt to bring harmony and order to the universe.

My question is not so much what particular models of headphones and monitors other people like, as it is their method of choosing them.

If we should just go with what 'sounds good' to us, then why would we have reference monitors at all? We would all just pick the best sounding home stereo speakers we could afford. Some people would even choose to mix their tunes on trunk-rattling woofer-mobiles. I personally love the sound of the Bose A7M system, if I'm going to be listening while I eat my Honey-Nut Cheerios, reading the paper in my underwear (and how the paper got in my underwear, I'll never know). But I can't say that I think they'd be good to mix on (although you could get a reeeeealy wide soundstage).

There must be some basic criteria other than how cool Frampton's talk box sounds on them. (I can hear them all now - Frampton? Who the hell is Frampton?)

Yo Cardiodionipotentofalldaatmospheres:

Beyer 250 headphones are very good. Available from Full Compass.

Monitors are varied. Events get good marks from the people in this showcase. But, if you can hear them before you buy them then your ears and wallet will decide.

The Beyer 250's go for around 131 semolians; however, they are worth it.

Sorry nobody else answered you.

Green Hornet

Green Hornet - at time of me posting this you had 533 posts to your name... I bet you at least 526 of those are you recommending Beyer 250's ....hehe... you must really love those headphones! :D

To make it a fair and balanced discussion I think it's only fair I mention the Sony MDR7506's available for around $90 if my memory serves me correctly from http://www.8thstreet.com

Yo Cooperman:

Hee Hee Hee is how Kato laughs.

Yeah, man, I like the Beyers because they are quality; however, I have a pair of Sony phones; also a wireless Koss set of headphones; ALSO, two sets of Beyer 880's sitting back on the shelf for reserve or for dudes wanting to listen to their girl record.

Soooooooooooooooooooo, I still like the 250's best. Had two other pair of fair phones that literally fell apart from wear.

Green Hornet

Cadioid, hi. In the case of monitors, I would say Foo's got it right, but I would reverse the order - get the most expensive ones you can afford, and ones you like the sound of. Every engineer says the same thing about monitors - you have to 'learn' them - learn that when they're coming up with this kind of sound, it will mean that kind of sound in the mix that's burned to CD. They're not supposed to sound pretty, they're supposed to sound accurate. Having said that, if you're going to be listening to them for long stretches, why not get something that sounds good to your ears?

As for the headphones, what are you going to use them for? Listening to CDs? Go for sound first. Studio use? Follow Foo's advice.

Back