MIDI for Dummies

JodyLevinson

Can someone point me towards some REALLY remedial references on MIDI? I just don't have a clue how it works.

I'm trying to record some songs and I'm doing okay on the audio tracks (after some initial hair tearing). But I think I may need MIDI to create drum and bass tracks.

A really basic online tutorial would be perfect.

Thanks,

Jody

Hi All,
Another MIDI noobifier here, trying to do something I thought would be very simple. I am linking up a Korg Electribe with a Korg MS2000. I'm not sure which one would be best as master and which as slave.

I do not want one device to play notes on the other device. All I want to do is make them both play at exactly the same tempo, so the arpeggiators are locked into the beats etc.

I have tried a few times before but cannot get the slave to take clock sync tempo from the master...

Can anyone give me step by step instructions for a dummy?
Cheers :)

mIDIOT

I need some basic understanding as well. I have been a recording hobbyist for 33 years and purely analog. well, I got a laptop, I have some Midi equipment (Not sequencer, just pedals, virtualizer, effects, and my laptop). I have analog mixers, Fostex MR-16 multitracker, tascam pro burner. I have old and new alike and I want to integrate all of this and use its capabilities. Right now I want to know If I can use my old ART X-15 ultrafoot controller to control a behringer Virtualizer Pro for the vocalist for live performances. I am a total MIDIOT. I dont even know what half of the terms mean at this point and I am 45 so not quite the sponge I used to be. I think I need minimum a USB Midi adapter? what to get, how to figure out what I need, what the hell is a sequencer and do I already have one built in to something. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Too much to think about all at once. bad enough I have a room full of wires connecting all this stuff.

I am linking up a Korg Electribe with a Korg MS2000. I'm not sure which one would be best as master and which as slave.

The Electribe will send MIDI Clock to another Electribe without playing notes on the slave, right out of the box. Should work with another MIDI device as slave.

diggy, if you are now using Bob Ross as your avatar you are completely blowing my mind.

three hours ago i was getting coffee at the 7-11 and the kid at the counter was wearing a Bob Ross t-shirt, which caused me to think all the way to work about calling my recording project Happy Trees.

i will consider this a sign from god.

diggy, if you are now using Bob Ross as your avatar you are completely blowing my mind.

three hours ago i was getting coffee at the 7-11 and the kid at the counter was wearing a Bob Ross t-shirt, which caused me to think all the way to work about calling my recording project Happy Trees.

i will consider this a sign from god.

:laughings:

I snipped the avatar out of this picture, which is my desktop wallpaper at the moment.

032027_Situation_room_memes.jpg

That's just the JPEG, not a screenshot.

What's with the mixed metaphors there anyway? Does anyone actually put wallpaper on a desktop in real life? :eek:

Back