Loud buzz / hum over all recordings - ground loop issue?

Paudman

Hi folks - first post, please bear with me if it's a noob question but I'm tearing my hair out.
I've played for many many years, firstly back in the long haired days of valves and Fenders. I've only recently got into home composing and recording though. First step was an M-audio USB Fasttrack device which recorded perfectly but wouldn't allow me to save any of my recordings (freebie version of Pro-Tools). As this device was getting oldish even when bought I upgraded to an M-Audio Profire 610 Firewire Audio Interface with Ableton Live software. It was so good I upgraded to the full version of Ableton 9 Live however this is where the problems began.
I'm running it through firewire into my Intel Mac in the study of my house. As soon as a mic is connected there is a massive hum over everything which drowns out the recording. I'm using a Behringer B-5 studio mic on an XLR cable. I tried other mics and the sound did diminish slightly but is still overpowering. Now: if I pick up and squeeze the Profire, the buzz drops away. I also use a Mackie Onyx Satellite unit and it hums just as loudly.
So: having read a lot of Internet posts and discussions I suspected a ground loop / earthing problem and bought an ART DTI box, however when it's inserted into the line there is nothing at all - no sound whatsoever being picked up by the software. I've tried different leads, jacks as well as XLR, and nothing works.
Without the DTI box the hum is terrible. With it, there is no sound at all. As most of my instruments are now acoustic I need to record through a mic, not a pickup, but it's*proving impossible.
I'm debating running a cable from the metal body of the Profire to an electrical earth - any thoughts on whether or not this will help?
It's been five weeks now of constant buzz and I've tried different sockets, adaptors, running on firewire power only, and more than a few different cables.
All help or advice appreciated!

I've been down this exact same road before. My hum/noise was caused by a worthless pre-amp and bad wiring. Here's something to try. If you interface can be bus powered (doesn't need a wall wart) take it a plug it into a laptop on battery power. If you don't have a laptop take it to a friend's house and run it there. If you still have the buzz, it's not your 'lectric and you can start looking at other pieces in the chain.

If you put the ART between your mic and interface, that woudl explain why you got no sound (or hum) - teh ART does not apepar to have phantom power, which your condensor mic needs.
First - try your M-Audio interface - turn the phantom power off. Does the hum go away? Have you got a dynamic mic you can plug into it to try? Or a guitar signal (not miced)?
It does sound like you have a ground loop problem (when you press in on the interface, you are making a slight ground connection), but the ART is the wrong thing to eliminate it.

It does sound like you have a ground loop problem (when you press in on the interface, you are making a slight ground connection), but the ART is the wrong thing to eliminate it.

Some good tips there, and thanks - the idea of trying it on a battery laptop is one I hadn't thought of. A dynamic mic will be the next step, my guitar is the only instrument I play that has a pickup these days, so I'll have to dig it out of the case and try that. Looks like I wasted cash on the DTI box?

Got it sorted - I bought an audio isolation transformer from eBay, cost me £64 and when plugging both the Mac and the Profire through it the buzz has completely gone. I've tried every combination I can think of - condensor mic, dynamic mic, phantom power on and off, and there's no buzz at all. I'm a happy bunny! Now I can start proper recording again and bore everyone with endless overdubs of my tunes!
Thanks to all for your excellent advice, it's funny but after so many years of performing I'm still very much a beginner when it comes to actual hardware and recording.

Back